- The economic downturn in the UK since the start of the recession in 2007 had a direct impact on the performance of jewellery. Whilst costume jewellery witnessed increasing growth, real jewellery experienced a declining trend in volume terms from the beginning of the review period. The number of civil partnerships also declined from 2007, according to the Office of National Statistics, having a further negative impact on the performance of real jewellery.
- Goldsmiths remained the leader amongst the big three domestic brands. The share of Goldsmiths reached 8% in the UK in 2012. All three saw rises in share, owing to the falling by the wayside of a number of private independent jewellers which were unable to compete with the high street stores during the time of recession. To some extent, therefore, there was consolidation of the market nationally, although there are clearly still a huge number of independent jewellers.
- The forecasts for jewellery are not especially positive for the forecast period, although they do represent an improvement on the dire conditions of the last few years. It is anticipated that the steep declines of recent years will flatten out as the UK economy returns to some sort of health. Jewellery is a category which is extremely reliant on macroeconomic trends. As consumers return to confidence, and hopefully the cost of living falls or flattens out, and the employment situation improves, it is to be hoped that consumers will feel better able to spend larger sums on non-essential items such as jewellery. It is also likely that the rate of marriage and civil partnerships will rise as consumers regain confidence.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Jewellery Market Research Report
Sample Jewellery Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Jewellery industry in United Kingdom with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Jewellery industry in United Kingdom, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Jewellery in United Kingdom market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- How do sales of costume jewellery compare to real jewellery in United Kingdom?
- What type of jewellery is most popular: rings, wristwear, neckwear, or earrings?
- What are the prospects for non-store retailing in jewellery?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our jewellery market research database.
Table of Contents
Jewellery in the United Kingdom - Category Analysis
- Table 1 Sales of Jewellery by Category: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 2 Sales of Jewellery by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 3 Sales of Jewellery by Category: % Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 4 Sales of Jewellery by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 5 Sales of Costume Jewellery by Type: % Value Breakdown 2008-2013
- Table 6 Sales of Real Jewellery by Type: % Value Breakdown 2008-2013
- Table 7 NBO Company Shares of Jewellery: % Value 2008-2012
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Jewellery: % Value 2009-2012
- Table 9 Distribution of Jewellery by Format: % Value 2008-2013
- Table 10 Forecast Sales of Jewellery by Category: Volume 2013-2018
- Table 11 Forecast Sales of Jewellery by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Jewellery by Category: % Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Jewellery by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
Jewellery in the United Kingdom - Company Profiles
H Samuel Ltd in Personal Accessories (United Kingdom)
- Summary 1 H Samuel Ltd: Key Facts
- Summary 2 H Samuel Ltd: Operational Indicators
- Chart 1 H Samuel Ltd: H Samuel in London
Mappin & Webb Group Ltd in Personal Accessories (United Kingdom)
- Summary 3 Mappin & Webb Group Ltd: Key Facts
- Summary 4 Mappin & Webb Group Ltd: Competitive Position 2012
Personal Accessories in the United Kingdom - Industry Context
Volume sales continue to decline and value sales see sluggish growth in 2013
Polarised market hollows out the middle ground
Fragmented competitive environment with strong luxury sales
Retailers consolidate slightly and move away from the high street
Stagnation is expected to continue for a few years yet
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Overlying brands dominate the market, with luxury to the fore
New products target the young, affluent and upwardly-mobile
Leisure and personal goods retailers continues to lose share
Economic conditions continue to conspire against personal accessories
- Table 14 Sales of Personal Accessories by Category: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 15 Sales of Personal Accessories by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 16 Sales of Personal Accessories by Category: % Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 17 Sales of Personal Accessories by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 18 NBO Company Shares of Personal Accessories: % Value 2008-2012
- Table 19 LBN Brand Shares of Personal Accessories: % Value 2009-2012
- Table 20 Distribution of Personal Accessories by Format: % Value 2008-2013
- Table 21 Forecast Sales of Personal Accessories by Category: Volume 2013-2018
- Table 22 Forecast Sales of Personal Accessories by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 23 Forecast Sales of Personal Accessories by Category: % Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 24 Forecast Sales of Personal Accessories by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
- Summary 5 Research Sources