- Cat food sales differ greatly according to location. Average disposable income levels are lower in the smaller cities and villages and rural cat owners often economise by feeding their pets with leftovers. Sales growth in cat food is thus being largely driven by urban consumers, who are increasingly aware of cats' nutritional requirements. Many urban cat owners also live alone, thus viewing their cat as a beloved companion, with these cat owners being increasingly indulgent towards their pets. This trend is also being encouraged by cat owners becoming more likely to seek vets' advice or the advice of sales assistants in pet shops with regard to nutrition. Younger consumers are particularly driving this trend, with those in their 20s and 30s being considerably more focused on cat nutrition.
- Mars led sales of cat food in 2014 with 40% value share and also saw the strongest gain in share in the year at half a percentage point. The company is expected to remain the leading player in cat food in 2015, benefiting from its wide range of products and strong brands such as Whiskas and Kitekat. The company also has a strong distribution reach and invests heavily in marketing, while new product development with a focus on gourmet indulgence in 2015 is expected to continue to boost the share of its Whiskas brand. In GBO terms, Mars meanwhile dominates overall sales thanks to its ownership of Royal Canin. This company ranked third in NBO terms in 2014 with a value share of 10%, while Mars accounted for just over 50% of value in GBO terms.
- Value sales growth in cat food is expected to be driven by the pet humanisation trend. There will continue to be a shift to single-cat households, with these cats often living indoors in urban apartments. With these cats often being cherished companions, there will be a strong focus on indulgence in consumers' purchasing decisions in the forecast period. This is in slight contrast to dog food, where the widening ownership of pedigree dogs is expected to result in a stronger focus on obtaining optimum nutrition and biologically-appropriate diets.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Cat Food Market Research Report
Sample Cat Food Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Cat Food industry in Bulgaria with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Cat Food industry in Bulgaria, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Cat Food in Bulgaria market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Cat Food in Bulgaria?
- What are the major brands in Bulgaria?
- How fast are consumers trading up to prepared cat food?
- How have pet specialists fared in recent years?
- How have pet specialists fared in recent years?
- What are growth prospects for pet care in the next 5 years?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Pet Care market research database.
Table of Contents
Cat Food in Bulgaria - Category Analysis
- Table 1 Cat Owning Households: % Analysis 2010-2015
- Table 2 Cat Population 2010-2015
- Table 3 Consumption of Cat Food by Prepared vs Non-prepared: % Analysis 2010-2015
- Summary 1 Cat Food by Price Band 2015
- Table 4 Sales of Cat Food by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 5 Sales of Cat Food by Category: Value 2010-2015
- Table 6 Sales of Cat Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 7 Sales of Cat Food by Category: % Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 8 Sales of Premium Cat Food by Category: Value 2010-2015
- Table 9 NBO Company Shares of Cat Food: % Value 2010-2014
- Table 10 LBN Brand Shares of Cat Food: % Value 2011-2014
- Table 11 LBN Brand Shares of Cat Treats: % Value 2011-2014
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Cat Food by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Cat Food by Category: Value 2015-2020
- Table 14 Forecast Sales of Cat Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 15 Forecast Sales of Cat Food by Category: % Value Growth 2015-2020
Cat Food in Bulgaria - Company Profiles
Mars Inc Bulgaria EOOD in Pet Care (Bulgaria)
- Summary 2 Mars Inc Bulgaria EOOD: Key Facts
- Summary 3 Mars Inc Bulgaria EOOD: Competitive Position 2014
Nestlé Bulgaria AD in Pet Care (Bulgaria)
- Summary 4 Nestlé Bulgaria AD: Key Facts
- Summary 5 Nestlé Bulgaria AD: Operational Indicators
- Summary 6 Nestlé Bulgaria AD: Competitive Position 2014
Pongo & Bengie OOD in Pet Care (Bulgaria)
- Summary 7 Pongo & Bengie OOD: Key Facts
- Summary 8 Pongo & Bengie OOD: Competitive Position 2014
Pet Care in Bulgaria - Industry Context
Strong review period growth thanks to growing focus on pet nutrition and health
Sales remain low as non-prepared food dominates
Pet shops lose share to modern grocery retailers
Leader Mars loses share as competition intensifies
Forecast period growth dampened by price competition
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Sales benefit from rising disposable income levels
Rise of the cherished urban pet
Pet shops face growing competition from grocery retailers
- Table 16 Pet Populations 2010-2015
- Table 17 Sales of Pet Food by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 18 Sales of Pet Care by Category: Value 2010-2015
- Table 19 Sales of Pet Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 20 Sales of Pet Care by Category: % Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 21 NBO Company Shares of Pet Food: % Value 2010-2014
- Table 22 LBN Brand Shares of Pet Food: % Value 2011-2014
- Table 23 NBO Company Shares of Dog and Cat Food: % Value 2010-2014
- Table 24 LBN Brand Shares of Dog and Cat Food: % Value 2011-2014
- Table 25 Penetration of Private Label in Pet Care by Category: % Value 2010-2014
- Table 26 Distribution of Pet Care by Format: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 27 Distribution of Pet Care by Format and Category: % Value 2015
- Table 28 Distribution of Dog and Cat Food by Format: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 29 Distribution of Dog and Cat Food by Format and Category: % Value 2015
- Table 30 Forecast Sales of Pet Food by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 31 Forecast Sales of Pet Care by Category: Value 2015-2020
- Table 32 Forecast Sales of Pet Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 33 Forecast Sales of Pet Care by Category: % Value Growth 2015-2020
- Summary 9 Research Sources