- Chile’s pet cat population grew faster than its dog population throughout the review period. While this was partly because the former was emerging from a lower base, the increasing preference for cats was also attributable to demographic and social trends. Most notably, rising urbanisation, longer working hours and busier lifestyles made many Chileans more inclined to favour cats. Cats require less space and exercise than dogs, and are thus much better suited to living in small urban apartments. Moreover, cats are much more independent, meaning they are less likely than dogs to become depressed or engage in destructive behaviour if left at home alone for long periods while their owners are at work or out. Healthy growth in the pet cat population remained the single most important factor underpinning the positive development of the entire cat food category in 2012.
- Mars was the leading player in cat food in 2012, claiming an overall value sales share of 28%. The company held leading positions in mid-priced wet and dry cat food thanks to the enduring popularity of its heavily advertised and widely distributed Whiskas brand.?Nutripro ranked second overall with a value share of 25%. It was the leading player in economy dry cat food, where it offers the Cuchito and Don Cucho brands, and claimed second place in mid-priced dry and wet cat food with its Master Cat range. Champion, which offers the Champion Katt, Cubicat and My Katt brands, was the third leading cat food company with a value share of 17%, while Nestlé ranked fourth with a 16% share due to the combined strength of its Purina Cat Chow, Gati and Purina Pro Plan brands. Royal Canin rounded out the top five with an overall value share of 2% thanks to the dominant position of its eponymous brand in premium dry cat food. Other prominent competitors in cat food included Tresko, Gabrica and Procter & Gamble.
- The outlook for cat food over the forecast period remains bright, with growth in total volume sales expected to be slightly stronger than that recorded over 2008-2013. This will be partly due to steady growth in the pet cat population; cats will continue to gain popularity as urbanisation and busy lifestyles limit the amount of space and time that Chileans have for keeping pets. At the same time, volume growth will improve as rising disposable incomes and pet humanisation encourage more cat owners to make the switch from non-prepared to prepared food. Increasing price competition will also fuel growth in cat food volume sales, though this trend is likely to result in total constant value sales growth being slower than that witnessed during the review period. Nonetheless, constant value growth will remain robust overall as economic improvements, pet humanisation and other factors continue to encourage trading up to higher quality and more expensive products. Improvements in distribution and promotional activities will also help to sustain the positive development of the entire category, as will the launch of new added value products with functional health benefits, gourmet-style flavour variants, more convenient packaging formats etc.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Cat Food Market Research Report
Sample Cat Food Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Cat Food industry in Chile with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Cat Food industry in Chile, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Cat Food in Chile market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Cat Food in Chile?
- What are the major brands in Chile?
- How fast are consumers trading up to prepared cat food?
- How have pet specialists fared in recent years?
- How have pet specialists fared in recent years?
- What are growth prospects for pet care in the next 5 years?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Pet Care market research database.
Table of Contents
Cat Food in Chile - Category Analysis
- Table 1 Cat Owning Households: % Analysis 2008-2013
- Table 2 Cat Population 2008-2013
- Table 3 Consumption of Prepared Cat Food: % Analysis 2008-2013
- Table 4 Sales of Cat Food by Category: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 5 Sales of Cat Food by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 6 Sales of Cat Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 7 Sales of Cat Food by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 8 Sales of Premium Cat Food by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 9 NBO Company Shares of Cat Food: % Value 2008-2012
- Table 10 LBN Brand Shares of Cat Food: % Value 2009-2012
- Table 11 Forecast Sales of Cat Food by Category: Volume 2013-2018
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Cat Food by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Cat Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 14 Forecast Sales of Cat Food by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
- Summary 1 Cat Food by Price Band 2013
Cat Food in Chile - Company Profiles
Champion SA in Pet Care (Chile)
- Summary 2 Champion SA: Key Facts
- Summary 3 Champion SA: Competitive Position 2012
Nutripro SA in Pet Care (Chile)
- Summary 4 Nutripro SA: Key Facts
- Summary 5 Nutripro SA: Competitive Position 2012
Pet Care in Chile - Industry Context
Favourable economic conditions underpin improved market performance
Humanisation trend continues to bolster pet care spending
Urbanisation and busier lifestyles fuel growth in the other pet population
Nutripro remains the clear leader in Chilean pet care in 2012
Outlook for pet care in Chile remains bright
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Non-grocery retailers continue to gain ground in pet care distribution
Urbanisation and busier lifestyles lead Chileans to favour smaller pets
Pet humanisation trend continues to bolster pet care spending
Segmentation increasingly evident in dog and cat food
- Table 15 Pet Populations 2008-2013
- Table 16 Sales of Pet Food by Category: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 17 Sales of Pet Care by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 18 Sales of Pet Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 19 Sales of Pet Care by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 20 NBO Company Shares of Pet Food: % Value 2008-2012
- Table 21 LBN Brand Shares of Pet Food: % Value 2009-2012
- Table 22 NBO Company Shares of Dog and Cat Food: % Value 2008-2012
- Table 23 LBN Brand Shares of Dog and Cat Food: % Value 2009-2012
- Table 24 Penetration of Private Label in Pet Care by Category: % Value 2006-2011
- Table 25 Distribution of Pet Care by Format: % Value 2008-2013
- Table 26 Distribution of Pet Care by Format and Category: % Value 2012
- Table 27 Distribution of Dog and Cat Food by Format: % Value 2008-2013
- Table 28 Distribution of Dog and Cat Food by Format and Category: % Value 2013
- Table 29 Forecast Sales of Pet Food by Category: Volume 2013-2018
- Table 30 Forecast Sales of Pet Care by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 31 Forecast Sales of Pet Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 32 Forecast Sales of Pet Care by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
- Summary 6 Research Sources