- Chile’s pet cat population grew faster than its dog population throughout the review period. While this was partly because the former was emerging from a lower base, the increasing preference for cats was also attributable to demographic and social trends. Most notably, rising urbanisation, longer working hours and busier lifestyles made many Chileans more inclined to favour cats. Cats require less space and exercise than dogs and are thus much better suited to living in small urban apartments. Moreover, cats are much more independent, meaning they are less likely than dogs to become depressed or engage in destructive behaviour if left at home alone for long periods while their owners are at work or out. Healthy growth in the pet cat population remained the single most important factor underpinning the positive development of the entire cat food area in 2013.
- Nestlé was the leading player in cat food in 2013, recording an overall value sales share of 27%. The company held leading positions in mid-priced wet and dry cat food thanks to the increasing popularity of its heavily advertised and widely distributed Purina Cat Chow brand. The company also saw the biggest increase in sales share in 2013 (+six percentage points). Nestlé was one of the main beneficiaries as rising disposable incomes and the pet humanisation trend encouraged consumers to trade-up to added value cat food products. The company’s Purina range has a strong global reputation for quality, competes in both the premium and mid-priced segments and includes healthier age and lifestyle specific products such as Cat Chow Vida Sana. Nestlé’s performance was further bolstered by sustained investment in promotional activities, the expansion of its distribution network and the positive consumer response to new products introduced towards the end of the review period.
- The outlook for cat food over the forecast period remains bright, with total volume growth expected to be in line with that recorded over 2009-2014. This will be partly due to steady growth of the pet cat population; cats will continue to gain popularity as urbanisation and busy lifestyles limit the amount of space and time that Chileans have for keeping pets. Rising disposable incomes and pet humanisation trends will also continue to encourage more cat owners to make the switch from non-prepared to prepared food.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Cat Food Market Research Report
Sample Cat Food Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Cat Food industry in Chile with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Cat Food industry in Chile, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Cat Food in Chile market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Cat Food in Chile?
- What are the major brands in Chile?
- How fast are consumers trading up to prepared cat food?
- How have pet specialists fared in recent years?
- How have pet specialists fared in recent years?
- What are growth prospects for pet care in the next 5 years?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Pet Care market research database.
Table of Contents
Cat Food in Chile - Category Analysis
- Table 1 Cat Owning Households: % Analysis 2009-2014
- Table 2 Cat Population 2009-2014
- Table 3 Consumption of Cat Food by Prepared vs Non-prepared: % Analysis 2009-2014
- Summary 1 Cat Food by Price Band 2014
- Table 4 Sales of Cat Food by Category: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 5 Sales of Cat Food by Category: Value 2009-2014
- Table 6 Sales of Cat Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 7 Sales of Cat Food by Category: % Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 8 Sales of Premium Cat Food by Category: Value 2009-2014
- Table 9 NBO Company Shares of Cat Food: % Value 2009-2013
- Table 10 LBN Brand Shares of Cat Food: % Value 2010-2013
- Table 11 Forecast Sales of Cat Food by Category: Volume 2014-2019
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Cat Food by Category: Value 2014-2019
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Cat Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2014-2019
- Table 14 Forecast Sales of Cat Food by Category: % Value Growth 2014-2019
Cat Food in Chile - Company Profiles
Champion SA in Pet Care (Chile)
- Summary 2 Champion SA: Key Facts
- Summary 3 Champion SA: Production Statistics 2013
- Summary 4 Champion SA: Competitive Position 2013
Nutripro SA in Pet Care (Chile)
- Summary 5 Nutripro SA: Key Facts
- Summary 6 Nutripro SA: Competitive Position 2013
Pet Care in Chile - Industry Context
Strong economy boosting sales
Economy brands rapidly losing market share
Space limitations and urban lifestyles affecting consumer pet preferences
Nutripro strengthens position as leading player within pet care
More moderate growth expected after period of dynamism
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Smaller pets find favour among Chileans
Product innovations fuel value growth
Stray dog populatrion results in new municipal ordinances
Traditional channel continues to be a factor in overall market
- Table 15 Pet Populations 2009-2014
- Table 16 Sales of Pet Food by Category: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 17 Sales of Pet Care by Category: Value 2009-2014
- Table 18 Sales of Pet Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 19 Sales of Pet Care by Category: % Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 20 NBO Company Shares of Pet Food: % Value 2009-2013
- Table 21 LBN Brand Shares of Pet Food: % Value 2010-2013
- Table 22 NBO Company Shares of Dog and Cat Food: % Value 2009-2013
- Table 23 LBN Brand Shares of Dog and Cat Food: % Value 2010-2013
- Table 24 Penetration of Private Label in Pet Care by Category: % Value 2009-2013
- Table 25 Distribution of Pet Care by Format: % Value 2009-2014
- Table 26 Distribution of Pet Care by Format and Category: % Value 2014
- Table 27 Distribution of Dog and Cat Food by Format: % Value 2009-2014
- Table 28 Distribution of Dog and Cat Food by Format and Category: % Value 2014
- Table 29 Forecast Sales of Pet Food by Category: Volume 2014-2019
- Table 30 Forecast Sales of Pet Care by Category: Value 2014-2019
- Table 31 Forecast Sales of Pet Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2014-2019
- Table 32 Forecast Sales of Pet Care by Category: % Value Growth 2014-2019
- Summary 7 Research Sources