- Since the removal of the 10% sales tax on all mobile phones in Malaysia in 2010, the growth of mobile phones has been on a positive and upward trajectory. Recognising the large growth potential in Malaysia, a rising number of phone manufacturers started entering the country, leading to a high concentration of mobile phone sets towards the end of the review period. This intensifying competition pushed down the prices for mobile sets, thereby narrowing profit margins for phone manufacturers. There is also a rising 3G uptake in Malaysia as smartphones and data services become more affordable to the consumers. Coupled with the rising affluence and availability of low cost devices, 3G service is gaining traction in the nation. Moreover, more Malaysian operators are pushing for the launch of next generation LTE 4G services, upon receiving the requisite operating licences in 2012.
- Samsung Malaysia Electronics retained its dominance in mobile phones, exhibiting the largest increase in its volume. It achieved 54% volume share in 2013, and this strong performance is largely attributed to its frequent new product launches such as the Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3. Its aggressive marketing campaigns, with celebrity endorsements and product placement strategies, helped raise awareness and customer advocacy for its new products.
- Over the forecast period, the volume sales of mobile phones are expected to follow a positive trajectory, albeit at a slower growth than over the review period. As a result of the high penetration rate of mobile phones by the end of the review period, demand will turn lower, supported mainly by the replacement and upgrade of existing mobile phones. The primary drivers of the volume growth for mobile phones will be population growth, with a marginal contribution by low-income rural consumers taking up mobile services for the first time.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Mobile Phones Market Research Report
Sample Mobile Phones Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Mobile Phones industry in Malaysia with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Mobile Phones industry in Malaysia, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Mobile Phones in Malaysia market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Mobile Phones in Malaysia?
- What are the major brands in Malaysia?
- What is the growth rate for Mobile Phones in country?
- How many 3G mobile phones were sold last year?
- How will the introduction of 4G mobile phones impact the mobile phone market?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Consumer Electronics market research database.
Table of Contents
Mobile Phones in Malaysia - Category Analysis
- Table 1 Sales of Mobile Phones by Category: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 2 Sales of Mobile Phones by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 3 Sales of Mobile Phones by Category: % Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 4 Sales of Mobile Phones by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 5 NBO Company Shares of Mobile Phones: % Volume 2009-2013
- Table 6 LBN Brand Shares of Mobile Phones: % Volume 2010-2013
- Table 7 Distribution of Mobile Phones by Format: % Volume 2008-2013
- Table 8 Forecast Sales of Mobile Phones by Category: Volume 2013-2018
- Table 9 Forecast Sales of Mobile Phones by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 10 Forecast Sales of Mobile Phones by Category: % Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 11 Forecast Sales of Mobile Phones by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
- Table 12 Sales of Mobile Phones by Type of Contract: % Retail Volume 2008-2013
- Table 13 Sales of Smartphones by Operating System: % Retail Volume 2010-2015
Consumer Electronics in Malaysia - Industry Context
Consumer electronics exhibits positive volume growth
Change in lifestyle fuels the need for consumer electronics
Consumers increasingly prefer devices with better portability
Electronics and appliance specialist retailers is the key distribution channel
Consumer electronics growth is expected to slow down over the forecast period
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Implementation of 4G mobile network service
Large growth potential in underpenetrated areas beyond the Klang Valley
High degree of vulnerability to global economic conditions
High tax breaks or concessions for foreign companies
- Table 14 Sales of Consumer Electronics by Category: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 15 Sales of Consumer Electronics by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 16 Sales of Consumer Electronics by Category: % Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 17 Sales of Consumer Electronics by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 18 NBO Company Shares of Consumer Electronics: % Volume 2009-2013
- Table 19 LBN Brand Shares of Consumer Electronics: % Volume 2010-2013
- Table 20 Distribution of Consumer Electronics by Format: % Volume 2008-2013
- Table 21 Forecast Sales of Consumer Electronics by Category: Volume 2013-2018
- Table 22 Forecast Sales of Consumer Electronics by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 23 Forecast Sales of Consumer Electronics by Category: % Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 24 Forecast Sales of Consumer Electronics by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
- Summary 1 Research Sources