- In 2013, feature phones were loved by consumers thanks to being much cheaper than smartphones. In the case of older consumers, they have been unhappy about the limited range of types of mobile phone contracts. As smartphones have been standard within mobile phones since 2010, older consumers did not have a diverse range of options when selecting a new mobile phone, particularly if they did not want to pay the data charge for smartphones. For this consumer group, new players offering feature phones were welcomed, which led to healthy volume sales growth of feature phones from 2013. For example, CJ HelloVision Co and Korea Cable Telecom Co introduced 12-month/24-month contracts for feature phones for the cost of only Won3,000-Won5,000 per month.
- Samsung Electronics Co maintained the largest volume share of 58% within mobile phones in 2013. Its volume share reduced by five percentage points in 2013 due to lower volume sales of smartphones, but the company still held the largest volume share of 59% within smartphones. Within feature phones, the company recorded a 90% increase in volume sales, boosted by a revitalised supply of feature phones during the year.
- Mobile phones is expected to increase at a CAGR of 2% in volume terms over the forecast period. Volume sales of smartphones are expected to continually grow in relation to the use of LTE services. In the near feature, some telecoms players plan to no longer provide a 3G service, so this will have a positive effect on sales of smartphones over the forecast period. One of leading telecoms companies, SK Telecom Co, stated that the proportion of smartphone users using LTE would reach over 70% in 2014.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Mobile Phones Market Research Report
Sample Mobile Phones Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Mobile Phones industry in South Korea with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Mobile Phones industry in South Korea, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Mobile Phones in South Korea market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Mobile Phones in South Korea?
- What are the major brands in South Korea?
- What is the growth rate for Mobile Phones in country?
- How many 3G mobile phones were sold last year?
- How will the introduction of 4G mobile phones impact the mobile phone market?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Consumer Electronics market research database.
Table of Contents
Mobile Phones in South Korea - Category Analysis
- Table 1 Sales of Mobile Phones by Category: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 2 Sales of Mobile Phones by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 3 Sales of Mobile Phones by Category: % Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 4 Sales of Mobile Phones by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 5 NBO Company Shares of Mobile Phones: % Volume 2009-2013
- Table 6 LBN Brand Shares of Mobile Phones: % Volume 2010-2013
- Table 7 Distribution of Mobile Phones by Format: % Volume 2008-2013
- Table 8 Forecast Sales of Mobile Phones by Category: Volume 2013-2018
- Table 9 Forecast Sales of Mobile Phones by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 10 Forecast Sales of Mobile Phones by Category: % Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 11 Forecast Sales of Mobile Phones by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
- Table 12 Sales of Mobile Phones by Type of Contract: % Retail Volume 2008-2013
- Table 13 Sales of Smartphones by Operating System: % Retail Volume 2010-2015
Mobile Phones in South Korea - Company Profiles
Pantech Co Ltd in Consumer Electronics (South Korea)
- Summary 1 Pantech Co Ltd: Key Facts
- Summary 2 Pantech Co Ltd: Operational Indicators
- Summary 3 Pantech Co Ltd: Production Statistics 2013
- Summary 4 Pantech Co Ltd: Competitive Position 2013
Consumer Electronics in South Korea - Industry Context
Consumer electronics matures in South Korea
Two domestic leading players, Samsung Electronics Co and LG Electronics Co, together continue to dominate consumer electronics
Only Electronics and appliance specialist retailers maintained strong performance under weak performing market in 2013
Consumer electronics is expected to grow over the forecast period
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Consumer electronics performs weakly in South Korea
Phablets (phone + tablet) emerge as a next generation device after smartphones
Manufacturers reorganise the manufacturing process to survive
Retailers operated by large companies continue showing strong performances
- Table 14 Sales of Consumer Electronics by Category: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 15 Sales of Consumer Electronics by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 16 Sales of Consumer Electronics by Category: % Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 17 Sales of Consumer Electronics by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 18 NBO Company Shares of Consumer Electronics: % Volume 2009-2013
- Table 19 LBN Brand Shares of Consumer Electronics: % Volume 2010-2013
- Table 20 Distribution of Consumer Electronics by Format: % Volume 2008-2013
- Table 21 Forecast Sales of Consumer Electronics by Category: Volume 2013-2018
- Table 22 Forecast Sales of Consumer Electronics by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 23 Forecast Sales of Consumer Electronics by Category: % Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 24 Forecast Sales of Consumer Electronics by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
- Summary 5 Research Sources