- Mobile phones declined in volume by 1% in 2012, a situation which can be mainly attributed due to the ongoing decline in demand for feature phones in South Korea. Feature phones declined in volume by 70% in 2012 and a further 50% in 2013, while current value sales in the category declined by 72% in 2012 and 51% in 2013. Even though the few feature phones still in use in South Korea are progressively being replaced by smartphones, the entire category of mobile phone was negatively affected by the adverse economic situation towards the end of the review period, resulting in negative growth rates during both 2012 and 2013.
- Samsung Electronics Co Ltd maintained the leading position in mobile phones in South Korea in 2012 with a 63% volume share. The company also maintained the leading position in feature phones and smartphones during the year with volume shares of 55% and 63% respectively. In particular, the company has been able to maintain its solid leading position in smartphones against the strong challenge posed by the second largest player in the category, Pantech Co Ltd.
- Mobile phones in South Korea is expected to increase in volume at a CAGR of 2% over the forecast period. This positive performance is set to be thanks mainly to ongoing positive growth in smartphones, a category which is expected to increase in volume at a CAGR of 7% over the forecast period based on the strong performance of new products which make use of new technologies which are being developed by the leading domestic manufacturers such as Samsung, Pantech and LG. Feature phones, meanwhile, is set to continue declining over the forecast period, with volume sales set to decrease at a CAGR of 36%, falling to just 159,000 units by 2017. Over the forecast period, feature phones are set to be used exclusively by children end the elderly.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Mobile Phones Market Research Report
Sample Mobile Phones Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Mobile Phones industry in South Korea with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Mobile Phones industry in South Korea, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Mobile Phones in South Korea market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Mobile Phones in South Korea?
- What are the major brands in South Korea?
- What is the growth rate for Mobile Phones in country?
- How many 3G mobile phones were sold last year?
- How will the introduction of 4G mobile phones impact the mobile phone market?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Consumer Electronics market research database.
Table of Contents
Mobile Phones in South Korea - Category Analysis
- Table 1 Smartphones by Operating System 2009-2014
- Table 2 Mobile Phones by Type of Contract 2007-2012
- Table 3 Sales of Mobile Phones: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 4 Sales of Mobile Phones: Value 2007-2012
- Table 5 Sales of Mobile Phones: % Volume Growth 2007-2012
- Table 6 Sales of Mobile Phones: % Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 7 NBO Company Shares of Mobile Phones: % Volume 2008-2012
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Mobile Phones: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 9 Distribution of Mobile Phones by Format: % Volume 2007-2012
- Table 10 Forecast Sales of Mobile Phones: Volume 2012-2017
- Table 11 Forecast Sales of Mobile Phones: Value 2012-2017
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Mobile Phones: % Volume Growth 2012-2017
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Mobile Phones: % Value Growth 2012-2017
Mobile Phones in South Korea - Company Profiles
Pantech Co Ltd in Consumer Electronics (South Korea)
- Summary 1 Pantech Co Ltd : Key Facts
- Summary 2 Pantech Co Ltd: Operational Indicators
- Summary 3 Pantech Co Ltd: Production Statistics 2012
- Summary 4 Pantech Co Ltd: Competitive Position 2012
Consumer Electronics in South Korea - Industry Context
Consumer electronics records stagnant growth in 2012 under economy downturn
Local manufacturers continue dominating consumers electronics
Digital media player docks and e-readers record remarkable volume growth in 2012
Consumer electronics are expected to increase over the forecast period
Electronics and appliance specialist retailers continually show good performance
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Consumer electronics shows stagnation under economy downturn in 2012
Advanced products for niche consumers help alleviate the decline of consumer electronics
Advanced electronics lead intense competition of retailers through strengthened employees’ training
Local players show strong position in domestic market
Smartphones continue replacing other consumer electronics
- Table 14 Sales of Consumer Electronics by Category: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 15 Sales of Consumer Electronics by Category: Value 2007-2012
- Table 16 Sales of Consumer Electronics by Category: % Volume Growth 2007-2012
- Table 17 Sales of Consumer Electronics by Category: % Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 18 NBO Company Shares of Consumer Electronics: % Volume 2008-2012
- Table 19 LBN Brand Shares of Consumer Electronics: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 20 Distribution of Consumer Electronics by Format: % Volume 2007-2012
- Table 21 Forecast Sales of Consumer Electronics by Category: Volume 2012-2017
- Table 22 Forecast Sales of Consumer Electronics by Category: Value 2012-2017
- Table 23 Forecast Sales of Consumer Electronics by Category: % Volume Growth 2012-2017
- Table 24 Forecast Sales of Consumer Electronics by Category: % Value Growth 2012-2017
- Summary 5 Research Sources