- Non-grocery retailers increased by 11% in current value terms in 2013, whilst the number of outlets increased by 4%. The development of franchising, the control of the inflation rate in 2013 at under 4% and the devaluation of the Algerian dinar all had an influence on sales in a channel in which imported products account for a significant share of value sales, resulting in strong value growth during 2013. Various different channels continued to record stronger development during 2013, as modern retail outlets offering high-priced, high-quality products also facilitated more rapid value growth during the year. The number of outlets of non-grocery retailers in Algeria grew by 4% in 2013, as a result of the opening up of new residential areas and new high street property developments operated by the government, which always include a set of independent shops near apartments. Many of the owners of Algeria’s leading non-grocery retailers focused on improving the designs of their outlets, enlarging the sales area rather than opening entirely new outlets, particularly in Algeria’s large cities, where rents are very high.
- Beauty specialist retailer HeleneB maintained its lead in non-grocery retailers in Algeria in 2013, although its value share remained negligible. The company operates under the name Zohara Parfums, and distributes premium fragrances and cosmetics, in addition to offering various beauty services. HeleneB was able to generate its value share amidst a highly fragmented trading environment. There are 13 Zohara Parfums outlets spread across Algeria’s largest cities with the most recent outlet opened under the name Gardenia in Algiers during 2013.
- Non-grocery retailers in Algeria is expected to increase by a value CAGR of 6% over the forecast period at constant 2013 prices, whilst the number of outlets is set to increase by a CAGR 4%. These healthy growth rates are set to result from long term improvements in the designs of many non-grocery outlets, and the anticipated further development of premium franchises, helped by advertisements on satellite TV channels, as well as rising prices amongst domestic retailers, many of which are also likely to improve their levels of service and product quality.
Delivery method: instant download
Report format: PDF (download a sample)
Market statistics: Excel workbook (download a sample)
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Non-Grocery Retailers industry in Algeria with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Non-Grocery Retailers industry in Algeria, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Non-Grocery Retailers in Algeria market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed market shares for international and locally-based retailers
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- How is discretionary spending affecting non-grocery retailing in Algeria?
- Are non-grocery channels losing out to the growth of such products in grocery retailing?
- How is non-grocery retailing coming under pressure from non-store channels?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Retailing market research database.
Table of Contents
Non-Grocery Retailers in Algeria - Category Analysis
- Chart 1 Non-Grocery Retailers: Dixit, Apparel and Footwear Specialist Retailers
- Chart 2 Non-Grocery Retailers: K&M, Apparel and Footwear Specialist Retailers
- Chart 3 Non-Grocery Retailers: Samsung, Electronics and Appliance Specialist Retailers
- Chart 4 Non-Grocery Retailers: Media Products Store
- Chart 5 Non-Grocery Retailers: Furniture and Homewares Store
- Table 1 Non-Grocery Retailers: Value Sales, Outlets and Selling Space 2008-2013
- Table 2 Sales in Non-Grocery Retailers by Channel: Value 2008-2013
- Table 3 Non-Grocery Retailers Outlets by Channel: Units 2008-2013
- Table 4 Sales in Non-Grocery Retailers by Channel: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 5 Non-Grocery Retailers Outlets by Channel: % Unit Growth 2008-2013
- Table 6 Non-Grocery Retailers Company Shares: % Value 2009-2013
- Table 7 Non-Grocery Retailers Brand Shares: % Value 2010-2013
- Table 8 Non-Grocery Retailers Brand Shares: Outlets 2010-2013
- Table 9 Non-Grocery Retailers Brand Shares: Selling Space 2010-2013
- Table 10 Non-Grocery Retailers Forecasts: Value Sales, Outlets and Selling Space 2013-2018
- Table 11 Forecast Sales in Non-Grocery Retailers by Channel: Value 2013-2018
- Table 12 Forecast Non-Grocery Retailers Outlets by Channel: Units 2013-2018
- Table 13 Forecast Sales in Non-Grocery Retailers by Channel: % Value Growth 2013-2018
- Table 14 Forecast Non-Grocery Retailers Outlets by Channel: % Unit Growth 2013-2018
Non-Grocery Retailers in Algeria - Company Profiles
HeleneB sarl in Retailing (Algeria)
- Summary 1 HeleneB sarl: Key Facts
- Summary 2 HeleneB sarl: Operational Indicators 2011-2013
- Summary 3 HeleneB sarl: Share of Sales Generated by Internet Retailing
- Summary 4 HeleneB sarl: Competitive Position 2013
Retailing in Algeria - Industry Context
Stronger value growth in 2013 than over the review period
Modernisation of store-based retailing
Non-grocery retailers expands faster than grocery retailers in 2013
Few chains manage to gain share in a highly fragmented market
Minor growth in outlet numbers expected in the forecast period, but faster growth in value sales
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
The economy remains heavily reliant on revenues from hydrocarbons
Foreign direct investment: Algerian government imposes restrictions on international companies entering into partnerships with domestic companies
- Table 15 Employment in Retailing 2008-2013
- Table 16 Sales in Retailing by Channel: Value 2008-2013
- Table 17 Sales in Retailing by Channel: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 18 Sales in Retailing by Grocery vs Non-Grocery: 2008-2013
- Table 19 Sales in Store-Based Retailing by Channel: Value 2008-2013
- Table 20 Store-Based Retailing Outlets by Channel: Units 2008-2013
- Table 21 Sales in Store-Based Retailing by Channel: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 22 Store-Based Retailing Outlets by Channel: % Unit Growth 2008-2013
- Table 23 Retailing Company Shares: % Value 2009-2013
- Table 24 Retailing Brand Shares: % Value 2010-2013
- Table 25 Store-Based Retailing Company Shares: % Value 2009-2013
- Table 26 Store-Based Retailing Brand Shares: % Value 2010-2013
- Table 27 Store-Based Retailing Brand Shares: Outlets 2010-2013
- Table 28 Forecast Sales in Retailing by Channel: Value 2013-2018
- Table 29 Forecast Sales in Retailing by Channel: % Value Growth 2013-2018
- Table 30 Forecast Sales in Store-Based Retailing by Channel: Value 2013-2018
- Table 31 Forecast Store-Based Retailing Outlets by Channel: Units 2013-2018
- Table 32 Forecast Sales in Store-Based Retailing by Channel: % Value Growth 2013-2018
- Table 33 Forecast Store-Based Retailing Outlets by Channel: % Unit Growth 2013-2018
Cash and carry
- Summary 5 Research Sources