- Non-grocery retailers increased in value by 10% in 2012, while the number of outlets in the channel increased by 3%. The development of franchising, the inflation rate of 4% and the devaluation of the Algerian dinar all had an influence over sales in a category in which imported products account for a significant proportion of value sales, resulting in strong value growth during 2012. Various different channels continued to record stronger development during 2012 as modern retail outlets offering highly priced high-quality products also facilitated more rapid value growth during the year. The number of non-grocery retailing outlets in Algeria grew by 3% in 2012, much of which was the result of the change in outlet formats rather than any actual expansion in outlet numbers. Many of the owners of Algeria’s leading non-grocery retailers focused on improving the quality of their outlets, enlarging selling space rather than opening entirely new outlets, particularly in Algeria’s large cities, where the real estate markets are largely saturated.
- Beauty specialist retailer HeleneB sarl maintained its leadership in non-grocery retailing in Algeria in 2012, although its value share remained low at just 1%. The company operates under the name Zohara Parfums and distributes premium fragrances and cosmetics, in addition to offering various beauty services. HeleneB was able to generate its relatively strong value share amidst a highly fragmented trading environment. There are 13 Zohara Parfums outlets spread across Algeria’s largest cities, with the most recent outlet opened in Algiers during 2012.
- Non-grocery retailers in Algeria is expected to increase in constant value at a CAGR of 5% over the forecast period, while the number of outlets is set to increase at a CAGR 4%. These healthy growth rates are set to result from long-term improvements in the designs of many non-grocery retailers outlet and the anticipated further development of premium franchises, as well as rising prices among domestic retailers, many of which are also likely to improve service levels and product quality.
Delivery method: instant download
Report format: PDF (download a sample)
Market statistics: Excel workbook (download a sample)
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Non-Grocery Retailers industry in Algeria with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Non-Grocery Retailers industry in Algeria, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Non-Grocery Retailers in Algeria market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed market shares for international and locally-based retailers
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- How is discretionary spending affecting non-grocery retailing in Algeria?
- Are non-grocery channels losing out to the growth of such products in grocery retailing?
- How is non-grocery retailing coming under pressure from non-store channels?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Retailing market research database.
Table of Contents
Non-Grocery Retailers in Algeria - Category Analysis
- Chart 1 Non-Grocery Retailers: Apparel Specialist - Dixit
- Chart 2 Non-Grocery Retailers: Apparel Specialist – K&M
- Chart 3 Non-Grocery Retailers: Electronics and Appliance Specialist – Samsung
- Chart 4 Non-Grocery Retailers: Media Products Stores
- Chart 5 Non-Grocery Retailers: Furniture and Furnishings Store
- Table 1 Sales in Non-Grocery Retailers by Channel: Value 2007-2012
- Table 2 Non-Grocery Retailers Outlets by Channel: Units 2007-2012
- Table 3 Sales in Non-Grocery Retailers by Channel: % Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 4 Non-Grocery Retailers Outlets by Channel: % Unit Growth 2007-2012
- Table 5 Non-Grocery Retailers Company Shares: % Value 2008-2012
- Table 6 Non-Grocery Retailers Brand Shares: % Value 2009-2012
- Table 7 Non-Grocery Retailers Brand Shares: Outlets 2009-2012
- Table 8 Forecast Sales in Non-Grocery Retailers by Channel: Value 2012-2017
- Table 9 Forecast Non-Grocery Retailers Outlets by Channel: Units 2012-2017
- Table 10 Forecast Sales in Non-Grocery Retailers by Channel: % Value Growth 2012-2017
- Table 11 Forecast Non-Grocery Retailers Outlets by Channel: % Unit Growth 2012-2017
Non-Grocery Retailers in Algeria - Company Profiles
HeleneB sarl in Retailing (Algeria)
- Summary 1 HeleneB sarl: Key Facts
- Summary 2 HeleneB sarl: Competitive Position 2012
Retailing in Algeria - Industry Context
Stronger value sales performance than over the review period
Modernisation of store-based retail environment
Non-grocery retailing outperforms grocery retailing in 2012
Few chains manage to gain share in a highly fragmented industry
Minor outlet number growth but faster value sales
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Economic conditions Revenues from hydrocarbons only allow projects of public expenses
Foreign direct investment: Algerian government imposes on international companies to enter in partnerships with domestic companies.
Demographic changes and the dominant young population boosts the economy
Cash remains unique method of payment for consumers
Strong urbanisation and expensive real estate
- Table 12 Employment in Retailing 2007-2012
- Table 13 Sales in Retailing by Category: Value 2007-2012
- Table 14 Sales in Retailing by Category: % Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 15 Sales in Retailing by Grocery vs Non-Grocery: 2007-2012
- Table 16 Sales in Store-Based Retailing by Channel: Value 2007-2012
- Table 17 Store-Based Retailing Outlets by Channel: Units 2007-2012
- Table 18 Sales in Store-Based Retailing by Channel: % Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 19 Store-Based Retailing Outlets by Channel: % Unit Growth 2007-2012
- Table 20 Retailing Company Shares: % Value 2008-2012
- Table 21 Retailing Brand Shares: % Value 2009-2012
- Table 22 Store-Based Retailing Company Shares: % Value 2008-2012
- Table 23 Store-Based Retailing Brand Shares: % Value 2009-2012
- Table 24 Store-Based Retailing Brand Shares: Outlets 2009-2012
- Table 25 Forecast Sales in Retailing by Category: Value 2012-2017
- Table 26 Forecast Sales in Retailing by Category: % Value Growth 2012-2017
- Table 27 Forecast Sales in Store-Based Retailing by Channel: Value 2012-2017
- Table 28 Forecast Store-Based Retailing Outlets by Channel: Units 2012-2017
- Table 29 Forecast Sales in Store-Based Retailing by Channel: % Value Growth 2012-2017
- Table 30 Forecast Store-Based Retailing Outlets by Channel: % Unit Growth 2012-2017
Cash and carry
- Summary 3 Research Sources