- As a result of new markets emerging (due to free trade agreements) the diversity of wine available in Costa Rica has significantly increased since 2011, with many kinds of wine occupying considerable shelf space at local supermarkets and emerging convenience stores. Due to this, countries such as South Africa, Australia, Peru and Israel have increased their presence within the local wine category, from a broad base of emerging distribution houses, which is consolidating in line with the remarkable wine-drinking trend among locals. Expovino Costa Rica: ‘the wine culture’ took place in 2013 with a significant audience able to do wine- and food-testing for three days. This event represented an opportunity for hotels, distributors and restaurants to showcase their services/products while making commercial agreements.
- In 2013, Florida Bebidas SA remained the leading distributor of wine in the country after it completed the acquisition of Holtermann & Cia S A’s wine division in the final quarter of 2010, which included Vinum, its exclusive wine and alcoholic drinks store. This granted the local brewing company the control of close to 85 wine brands in Costa Rica, including the best-selling and strongly positioned Chilean brand Concha y Toro. The Concha y Toro winery house has a wide variety of wine products, ranging from economy brands to higher-quality options, which makes its wine accessible to most consumer groups in the country. Grupo Pampa SA ranked second, maintaining a good product portfolio, which ranges from differentiated high-quality (organic-biodynamic wines) to value-for-money alternatives, offered through the company’s strategically located wine cellar restaurants.
- In the forecast period, distributors and wine representatives are expected to keep making efforts to increase wine consumption occasions, taking advantage of the increasing popularity and interest in gastronomy, while the new, emerging markets will create opportunities for Old World alternatives (Italy, Spain). Wine, beer and certain spirits (such as tequila) are expected to start showing marked differences in terms of distribution, aspirational lifestyle appeal, consuming occasions and target consumers, among others, as the population becomes more informed and familiar with certain cultures. Distribution is anticipated to become a key developing factor as are promotions, wine carts and visual merchandising, which are especially relevant within the wine category.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Wine Market Research Report
Sample Wine Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Wine industry in Costa Rica with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Wine industry in Costa Rica, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Wine in Costa Rica market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market volume shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Production, imports by origin, exports by destination
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Wine in Costa Rica?
- What are the major brands in Costa Rica?
- How do sales of new world wine perform in comparisons to old world wine?
- Which countries are the main wine exporters and importers?
- Is wine mainly consumed in on- or off-trade channels?
- Have other sparkling wines like cava and prosecco benefited during the recession at the cost of Champagne?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Alcoholic Drinks market research database.
Table of Contents
Wine in Costa Rica - Category Analysis
PRODUCTION, IMPORTS AND EXPORTS
- Table 1 Sales of Wine by Category: Total Volume 2008-2013
- Table 2 Sales of Wine by Category: Total Value 2008-2013
- Table 3 Sales of Wine by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 4 Sales of Wine by Category: % Total Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 5 Sales of Wine by Off-trade vs On-trade: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 6 Sales of Wine by Off-trade vs On-trade: Value 2008-2013
- Table 7 Sales of Wine by Off-trade vs On-trade: % Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 8 Sales of Wine by Off-trade vs On-trade: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 9 Production, Imports and Exports of Wine: Total Volume 2007-2012
- Table 10 Imports of Wine by Country of Origin: Total Volume 2007-2012
- Table 11 Imports of Wine by Country of Origin: Total Value 2007-2012
- Table 12 Exports of Wine by Country of Destination: Total Volume 2007-2012
- Table 13 Exports of Wine by Country of Destination: Total Value 2007-2012
- Table 14 Forecast Sales of Wine by Category: Total Volume 2013-2018
- Table 15 Forecast Sales of Wine by Category: Total Value 2013-2018
- Table 16 Forecast Sales of Wine by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 17 Forecast Sales of Wine by Category: % Total Value Growth 2013-2018
Alcoholic Drinks in Costa Rica - Industry Context
The demand for alcoholic drinks shows a slight improvement in 2013
Craft beer and the wine culture continue consolidating in Costa Rica
Florida Bebidas SA consolidates its positioning within spirits in 2013
The off-trade channel continues to benefit within the local market
Added-value alternatives are anticipated to gain in relevance over the forecast period
TAXATION AND DUTY LEVIES
- Table 18 Typical Wholesaler and Retailer Off-trade Mark-ups by Selected Categories 2013
- Table 19 Selling Margin of a Typical Beer Brand in a Retail Channel that does not use a Wholesaler 2013
- Table 20 Selling Margin of a Typical Wine Brand in a Retail Channel that does not use a Wholesaler 2013
- Table 21 Selling Margin of a Typical Spirits Brand in a Retail Channel that does not use a Wholesaler 2013
KEY NEW PRODUCT LAUNCHES
- Summary 1 Key New Product Developments 2013-2014
- Table 22 Retail Consumer Expenditure on Alcoholic Drinks 2008-2013
- Table 23 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Volume 2008-2013
- Table 24 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Value 2008-2013
- Table 25 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 26 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 27 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by Off-trade vs On-trade: Volume 2013
- Table 28 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by Off-trade vs On-trade: Value 2013
- Table 29 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by Off-trade vs On-trade: % Volume 2013
- Table 30 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by Off-trade vs On-trade: % Value 2013
- Table 31 GBO Company Shares of Alcoholic Drinks: % Total Volume 2009-2013
- Table 32 Distribution of Alcoholic Drinks by Format: % Off-trade Value 2008-2013
- Table 33 Distribution of Alcoholic Drinks by Format by Category: % Off-trade Volume 2013
- Table 34 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Volume 2013-2018
- Table 35 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Value 2013-2018
- Table 36 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 37 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Value Growth 2013-2018
- Summary 2 Research Sources