- As local consumers continued looking for good value propositions, the balance between good quality and affordable prices continued to benefit South American wines. Local consumers do not simply buy the cheapest product available, especially in the case of Chilean and Argentinian wines, which are highly popular in Costa Rica. New value offers such as organic products and even biodynamic wines reinforced the local preference for healthier and more environmentally-sustainable options, especially among more educated and higher-income buyers of the country.
- Florida Bebidas remains the leading wine distribution company in the country; it acquired Holtermann & Cia S A’s wine division in Q4 2010. This granted the local brewer control of close to 85 wine brands in Costa Rica, including the best-selling and strongly positioned Chilean brand Concha y Toro. The Concha y Toro winery offers a wide variety of products, ranging from economy to higher-quality wines, making them accessible to most consumer groups in the country. Grupo Pampa is the second-ranked wine distributor in Costa Rica, thanks to a product portfolio which offers value for money as well as differentiated high-quality products (such as biodynamic wines).
- The expected validation of the free trade agreement with the EU should increase the popularity of Old World wines. This offers the potential for the further development of differentiated products from counties such as Spain, Italy and France. As a result, per capita consumption of wine is predicted to reach two litres of wine in total volume terms by 2017, potentially making wine the second most popular type of alcoholic drink in the country. Besides, the additional development of the local wine culture should translate into a higher demand for differentiated and value-added products, particularly among the most educated and higher-income local consumers.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Wine Market Research Report
Sample Wine Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Wine industry in Costa Rica with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Wine industry in Costa Rica, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Wine in Costa Rica market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market volume shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Production, imports by origin, exports by destination
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Wine in Costa Rica?
- What are the major brands in Costa Rica?
- How do sales of new world wine perform in comparisons to old world wine?
- Which countries are the main wine exporters and importers?
- Is wine mainly consumed in on- or off-trade channels?
- Have other sparkling wines like cava and prosecco benefited during the recession at the cost of Champagne?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Alcoholic Drinks market research database.
Table of Contents
Wine in Costa Rica - Category Analysis
PRODUCTION, IMPORTS AND EXPORTS
- Table 1 Sales of Wine by Category: Total Volume 2007-2012
- Table 2 Sales of Wine by Category: Total Value 2007-2012
- Table 3 Sales of Wine by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2007-2012
- Table 4 Sales of Wine by Category: % Total Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 5 Sales of Wine by On-trade vs Off-trade: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 6 Sales of Wine by On-trade vs Off-trade: Value 2007-2012
- Table 7 Sales of Wine by On-trade vs Off-trade: % Volume Growth 2007-2012
- Table 8 Sales of Wine by On-trade vs Off-trade: % Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 9 Production, Imports and Exports of Wine: Total Volume 2007-2011
- Table 10 Imports of Wine by Country of Origin: Total Volume 2007-2011
- Table 11 Imports of Wine by Country of Origin: Total Value 2007-2011
- Table 12 Exports of Wine by Country of Destination: Total Volume 2007-2011
- Table 13 Exports of Wine by Country of Destination: Total Value 2007-2011
- Table 14 Forecast Sales of Wine by Category: Total Volume 2012-2017
- Table 15 Forecast Sales of Wine by Category: Total Value 2012-2017
- Table 16 Forecast Sales of Wine by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2012-2017
- Table 17 Forecast Sales of Wine by Category: % Total Value Growth 2012-2017
Alcoholic Drinks in Costa Rica - Industry Context
Demand for softer alcoholic drinks continues to benefit beer and wine
Imported economy lager proves popular among locals
Florida Bebidas SA strengthens its position and starts distributing Diageo’s brands
Off-trade sales continue to benefit from market dynamics
Further polarisation in demand is anticipated over the forecast period
TAXATION AND DUTY LEVIES
- Table 18 Typical Wholesaler and Retailer Mark-ups by Sector 2012
- Table 19 Selling Margin of a Typical Beer Brand 2012 incl Wholesaler
- Table 20 Selling Margin of a Typical Wine Brand 2012 incl Wholesaler
- Table 21 Selling Margin of a Typical Spirits Brand 2012 incl Wholesaler
KEY NEW PRODUCT LAUNCHES
- Summary 1 Key New Product Developments 2012
- Table 22 Retail Consumer Expenditure on Alcoholic Drinks 2007-2012
- Table 23 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Volume 2007-2012
- Table 24 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Value 2007-2012
- Table 25 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2007-2012
- Table 26 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 27 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by On-trade vs Off-trade: Volume 2012
- Table 28 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by On-trade vs Off-trade: Value 2012
- Table 29 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by On-trade vs Off-trade: % Volume 2012
- Table 30 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by On-trade vs Off-trade: % Value 2012
- Table 31 GBO Company Shares of Alcoholic Drinks: % Total Volume 2008-2012
- Table 32 Distribution of Alcoholic Drinks by Format: % Off-trade Value 2007-2012
- Table 33 Distribution of Alcoholic Drinks by Format by Category: % Off-trade Volume 2012
- Table 34 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Volume 2012-2017
- Table 35 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Value 2012-2017
- Table 36 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2012-2017
- Table 37 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Value Growth 2012-2017
- Summary 2 Research Sources