- Thailand has strict legislation to protect the population from cigarettes. The government and the private sector also collaborate in anti-smoking campaigns. For example, in 2014, such campaigns produced advertisements that discouraged smoking at home. The campaigns organised by the government and private sector are aimed less at persuading smokers to quit the habit immediately and more at showing the harmful effects of cigarette smoking on the smoker and those around him or her. The key aim is to dissuade potential new smokers, especially young people. Therefore, in 2014, many anti-smoking campaigns were focused on educational institutions (schools, universities).
- In 2014, Thailand Tobacco Monopoly (TTM) was the key player in cigarettes with 18 brands. Moreover, TTM exported tobacco products aboard. In Thailand, TTM accounted for a 70% share of retail volume sales. The company comes under the control of the Ministry of Finance, which is managed by the government. The international player Philip Morris (Thailand), which offers L&M and Marlboro, was ranked second with a 29% share in 2014.
- In November 2014, The Ministry of Public Health proposed new tobacco legislation to the government. The ministry aims to reduce the number of youth smokers by 100,000 annually. Smoking is considered a serious issue. The smoking rate among the over 15-year-old population in Thailand is around 40%, and a reduction in the rate occurs very slowly. Of most concern, is the increasing rate of smoking among youths.
GET MORE FOR LESS!
For orders of 3 or more reports, in addition to your multi-purchase discount, we will provide any strategy or global briefing absolutely free.
Please contact a web site agent using the chat box or complete the form here to receive your free strategic briefing.
Samples (FAQs about samples):Sample Cigarettes Market Research Report
Sample Cigarettes Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Cigarettes industry in Thailand with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Cigarettes industry in Thailand, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Cigarettes in Thailand market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Production, imports, and exports of finished cigarettes
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Cigarettes in Thailand?
- What are the major brands in Thailand?
- What is the legislative environment like in Thailand?
- What are the rates of cigarette taxation in Thailand?
- Do premium, mid-price or economy cigarettes dominate in Thailand?
- What is the rate of illicit trade in Thailand?
- How many smokers are there in the country?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Tobacco market research database.
Table of Contents
Cigarettes in Thailand - Category Analysis
NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENTS
- Summary 1 Cigarettes: New Product Launches
Cigarettes: Price band
- Summary 2 Cigarette Price Band Definitions
Cigarettes: Tobacco blend
Cigarettes: Carbon filter/non-carbon filter
Cigarettes: Cigarette length
Cigarettes: Regular vs slim vs superslim vs microslim
Cigarettes: Pack size
Cigarettes: Pack type
- Table 1 Sales of Cigarettes by Tar Level: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 2 Sales of Cigarettes by Tar Level: Value 2009-2014
- Table 3 Sales of Cigarettes by Tar Level: % Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 4 Sales of Cigarettes by Tar Level: % Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 5 Sales of Cigarettes by Price Band: % Volume Breakdown 2009-2014
- Table 6 Sales of Cigarettes by Standard/Menthol/Capsule: % Volume Breakdown 2009-2014
- Table 7 Sales of Cigarettes by Tobacco Type: % Volume Breakdown 2009-2014
- Table 8 Sales of Cigarettes by Filtered vs Non-filtered: % Volume 2009-2014
- Table 9 Sales of Filtered Cigarettes by Carbon vs Non-carbon: % Volume 2009-2014
- Table 10 Sales of Cigarettes by Length: % Volume 2009-2014
- Table 11 Sales of Cigarettes by Regular/Slim/Superslim/Microslim: % Volume 2009-2014
- Table 12 Sales of Cigarettes by Pack Size: % Volume 2009-2014
- Table 13 Sales of Cigarettes by Pack Type: % Volume 2009-2014
- Table 14 NBO Company Shares of Cigarettes: % Volume 2010-2014
- Table 15 LBN Brand Shares of Cigarettes: % Volume 2011-2014
- Table 16 Sales of Cigarettes by Distribution Format: % Volume 2009-2014
- Table 17 Production, Imports and Exports of Cigarettes: Total Volume 2009-2014
- Table 18 Forecast Sales of Cigarettes by Tar Level: Volume 2014-2019
- Table 19 Forecast Sales of Cigarettes by Tar Level: Value 2014-2019
- Table 20 Forecast Sales of Cigarettes by Tar Level: % Volume Growth 2014-2019
- Table 21 Forecast Sales of Cigarettes by Tar Level: % Value Growth 2014-2019
- Table 22 Forecast Sales of Cigarettes by Price Band: % Volume Breakdown 2014-2019
- Table 23 Forecast Sales of Cigarettes by Standard/Menthol/Capsule: % Volume Breakdown 2014-2019
- Table 24 Forecast Sales of Cigarettes by Tobacco Type: % Volume Breakdown 2014-2019
- Table 25 Forecast Sales of Cigarettes by Filtered vs Non-filtered: % Volume 2014-2019
- Table 26 Forecast Sales of Filtered Cigarettes by Carbon vs Non-carbon: % Volume 2014-2019
- Table 27 Forecast Sales of Cigarettes by Length: % Volume 2014-2019
- Table 28 Forecast Sales of Cigarettes by Regular/Slim/Superslim/Microslim: % Volume 2014-2019
- Table 29 Forecast Sales of Cigarettes by Pack Size: % Volume 2014-2019
- Table 30 Forecast Sales of Cigarettes by Pack Type: % Volume 2014-2019
Cigarettes in Thailand - Company Profiles
Philip Morris (Thailand) Ltd in Tobacco (Thailand)
- Summary 3 Philip Morris (Thailand) Ltd: Key Facts
- Summary 4 Philip Morris (Thailand) Ltd: Competitive Position 2014
Thailand Tobacco Monopoly in Tobacco (Thailand)
- Summary 5 Thailand Tobacco Monopoly: Key Facts
- Summary 6 Thailand Tobacco Monopoly: Operational Indicators
- Summary 7 Thailand Tobacco Monopoly: Production Statistics 2013
- Summary 8 Thailand Tobacco Monopoly: Competitive Position 2014
Tobacco in Thailand - Industry Context
Anti-smoking campaigns have little effect on sales growth
Thailand Tobacco Monopoly dominates cigarettes
Retail value sales continue to grow in 2014
The ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) and Tobacco in Thailand
Tobacco value sales are expected to grow over the forecast period
- Summary 9 Legislation Summary at a Glance
Minimum legal smoking age
- Table 31 Smoking Prevalence in Adult Population 2010-2014
- Table 32 Number of Adult Smokers by Gender 2010-2014
Advertising and sponsorship
Point-of-sale display bans
Smoking in public places
Low ignition propensity (LIP) regulation
Death by cause
- Table 33 Death by Cause 2010-2014
TAXATION AND PRICING
Duty-paid packet marks
- Table 34 Taxation and Duty Levies 2009-2014
Average cigarette pack price breakdown
- Table 35 Average Cigarette Pack Price Breakdown: Brand Examples
Illicit trade in cigarettes
- Table 36 Illicit Trade Estimate of Cigarettes: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 37 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 38 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2009-2014
- Table 39 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 40 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 41 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2014-2019
- Table 42 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2014-2019
- Table 43 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2014-2019
- Table 44 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2014-2019
- Summary 10 Research Sources