- The relatively small market size of NRT smoking cessation aids (slightly more than Col$3 billion) compared with other consumer health categories and the total size of the tobacco industry in Colombia demonstrate that these sorts of products are not very attractive for consumers in the process of quitting tobacco. Tobacco bans seen in advertising restrictions, imposed packaging messages and pictures (cigarette packages need to include large preventive messages and impressive images of the consequences of smoking on health), bans on single-stick sales by street vendors and prohibition of tobacco use in public spaces have increased in the review period. All these have negatively affected tobacco sales but that decline has not necessarily translated into higher value sales of NRT smoking cessation aids. NRT gum is mainly declining; meanwhile NRT lozenges is showing higher positive growth rates, but not much higher than inflation over the review period. This behaviour may be due to lack of education of consumers and some paradigms related to the lack of effectiveness of available smoking cessation aids.
- Johnson & Johnson de Colombia SA is the category leader with its brand Nicorette. Nicorette once held almost the entire share of NRT gum in Colombia. However, the company is losing share to Niquitin lozenges from GlaxoSmithKline. Neither Johnson & Johnson nor GlaxoSmithKline has its complete NRT smoking cessation aids portfolio in Colombia, so Johnson & Johnson is specialised in gum and GlaxoSmithKline in lozenges. There are other Rx alternatives in the market such as Champix.
- Nicotine replacement therapies are likely to see weak growth over the forecast period in Colombia. NRT lozenges, currently sold only by GlaxoSmithKline, is likely to see higher growth compared to gum, demonstrating lozenges are considered a more “effective”, pharmaceutical-like product, unlike gum, for which treatment adherence is erratic according to trade sources. The forecast period is likely to see the launch of newer alternatives such as patches and sprays which may help consumers to regain confidence in these products.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample NRT Smoking Cessation Aids Market Research Report
Sample NRT Smoking Cessation Aids Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the NRT Smoking Cessation Aids industry in Colombia with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the NRT Smoking Cessation Aids industry in Colombia, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The NRT Smoking Cessation Aids in Colombia market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Production, imports by origin, exports by destination
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of NRT Smoking Cessation Aids in Colombia?
- What are the major brands in Colombia?
- How have tobacco bans affected the sales of NRT Smoking Cessation Aids?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Consumer Health market research database.
Table of Contents
NRT Smoking Cessation Aids in Colombia - Category Analysis
- Table 1 Number of Smokers by Gender 2008-2013
- Table 2 Sales of NRT Smoking Cessation Aids by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 3 Sales of NRT Smoking Cessation Aids by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 4 Sales of NRT Gum by Flavour: % Value Breakdown 2008-2013
- Table 5 NBO Company Shares of NRT Smoking Cessation Aids: % Value 2009-2013
- Table 6 LBN Brand Shares of NRT Smoking Cessation Aids: % Value 2010-2013
- Table 7 Forecast Sales of NRT Smoking Cessation Aids by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 8 Forecast Sales of NRT Smoking Cessation Aids by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
Consumer Health in Colombia - Industry Context
Consumer health shows growth in 2013
Public health system to undergo structural reform
Bayer is closing one of its plants in Colombia
Cooperation and diversification help chemists hold on to sales
Counterfeiting, contraband and price controls foreseen in consumer health
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Rx price control to have collateral effects on consumer health
Awareness of nutrition and diseases favouring OTC and vitamins and dietary supplements sales
New channels and strong promotions keep consumer health innovative
Natural products on the rise
- Table 9 Consumer Expenditure on Health Goods and Medical Services: Value 2008-2013
- Table 10 Life Expectancy at Birth 2008-2013
- Table 11 Sales of Consumer Health by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 12 Sales of Consumer Health by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 13 NBO Company Shares of Consumer Health: % Value 2009-2013
- Table 14 LBN Brand Shares of Consumer Health: % Value 2010-2013
- Table 15 Penetration of Private Label in Consumer Health by Category: % Value 2008-2013
- Table 16 Distribution of Consumer Health by Format: % Value 2008-2013
- Table 17 Distribution of Consumer Health by Format and Category: % Value 2013
- Table 18 Forecast Sales of Consumer Health by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 19 Forecast Sales of Consumer Health by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
OTC registration and classification
Vitamins and dietary supplements registration and classification
Self-medication/self-care and preventative medicine
- Summary 1 OTC: Switches 2011-2013
- Summary 2 Research Sources