- In Colombia beer is usually presented in glass bottles or cans, both in off-trade and on-trade channels, and in a lower strength than in barrels, that are used mainly by microbreweries at their pubs. However the evolution of the beer culture in the country, has led Bavaria to present a new way to drink beer. In October 2012 the company launched Club Colombia draught beer designed for the on-trade. This presentation enables consumers to enjoy a high quality cold beer that is always on tap. For the restaurants draft beers have the advantage of easy handling as well as better profit margins.
- Bavaria continues to lead in beer with a 99% share of total volume sales and in 2012 recorded an increase of 10%. This good showing was driven by the extraordinary performance of Aguila Light, Poker and Club Colombia and the introduction of larger 750ml bottles for the Aguila, Aguila Light, Poker and Pilsen brands. These strategies aimed to improve distribution through smaller grocers, such as improving coverage of fridges and credit facilities, and for the different promotional activities.
- Beer is expected to register a CAGR of 6% over the forecast period, which will be double the growth recorded between 2007 and 2012, when sales were hampered by increasing taxes and adverse weather conditions. Although the forecasted rates are optimistic based on the strategies of Bavaria to democratise beer by having affordable prices, different bottle sizes to increase frequency of consumption and new products, it could slow if the Colombian economy shows signs of deceleration. In the third quarter 2012, GDP growth was 2.1% according to DANE, which could have a negative effect on demand.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Beer Market Research Report
Sample Beer Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Beer industry in Colombia with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Beer industry in Colombia, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Beer in Colombia market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market volume shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Production, imports by origin, exports by destination
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Beer in Colombia?
- What are the major brands in Colombia?
- How has premium lager performed in the wake of the global recession, has it lost out to economy lager as consumers traded down?
- What are the most popular flavours within non-alcoholic beer?
- What are the market opportunities for ‘healthier’ beers like low calorie and/or low abv beers?
- Has the implementation of a stricter drink driving law benefited sales of low/non-alcohol beer?
- Has the recession benefited domestic lager over imported lager?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Alcoholic Drinks market research database.
Table of Contents
Beer in Colombia - Category Analysis
PRODUCTION, IMPORTS AND EXPORTS
Lager price band methodology
- Summary 1 Lager by Price Band 2012
- Table 1 Number of Breweries 2007-2012
- Table 2 Sales of Beer by Category: Total Volume 2007-2012
- Table 3 Sales of Beer by Category: Total Value 2007-2012
- Table 4 Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2007-2012
- Table 5 Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 6 Sales of Beer by On-trade vs Off-trade: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 7 Sales of Beer by On-trade vs Off-trade: Value 2007-2012
- Table 8 Sales of Beer by On-trade vs Off-trade: % Volume Growth 2007-2012
- Table 9 Sales of Beer by On-trade vs Off-trade: % Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 10 GBO Company Shares of Beer: % Total Volume 2008-2012
- Table 11 NBO Company Shares of Beer: % Total Volume 2008-2012
- Table 12 LBN Brand Shares of Beer: % Total Volume 2009-2012
- Table 13 Production, Imports and Exports of Beer: Total Volume 2006-2011
- Table 14 Imports of Beer by Country of Origin: Total Volume 2006-2011
- Table 15 Imports of Beer by Country of Origin: Total Value 2006-2011
- Table 16 Exports of Beer by Country of Destination: Total Volume 2006-2011
- Table 17 Exports of Beer by Country of Destination: Total Value 2006-2011
- Table 18 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: Total Volume 2012-2017
- Table 19 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: Total Value 2012-2017
- Table 20 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2012-2017
- Table 21 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Value Growth 2012-2017
Beer in Colombia - Company Profiles
Bavaria SA in Alcoholic Drinks (Colombia)
- Summary 2 Bavaria SA: Key Facts
- Summary 3 Bavaria SA: Operational Indicators
- Summary 4 Bavaria SA: Production Statistics 2012
- Summary 5 Bavaria SA: Competitive Position 2012
Alcoholic Drinks in Colombia - Industry Context
Good results for the alcoholic drinks industry
Premiumisation continues to gain ground
Local and foreign brands register positive results
Independent small grocers remains the largest channel for alcoholic drinks
Growth perspectives are optimistic
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Wine sales remain unstoppable
Craft beer sales continue growing
FTAs with the US and the EU will have a positive impact on alcoholic drinks
Premium spirits dominate key new product launches
- Summary 6 Key New Product Developments 2011-2012
Market merger and acquisition activity
- Table 22 Number of On-trade Establishments by Type 2007-2012
TAXATION AND DUTY LEVIES
- Table 23 Taxation and Duty Levies on Alcoholic Drinks 2012
- Table 24 Typical Wholesaler and Retailer Off-trade Mark-ups by Selected Categories 2012
- Table 25 Selling Margin of a Typical Beer Brand in Retail Channel that does not use Wholesalers 2012
- Table 26 Selling Margin of a Typical Wine Brand in Retail Channel that uses Wholesalers 2012
- Table 27 Selling Margin of a Typical Spirits Brand in Retail Channel that uses Wholesalers 2012
- Table 28 Retail Consumer Expenditure on Alcoholic Drinks 2007-2012
- Table 29 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Volume 2007-2012
- Table 30 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Value 2007-2012
- Table 31 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2007-2012
- Table 32 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 33 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by On-trade vs Off-trade: Volume 2012
- Table 34 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by On-trade vs Off-trade: Value 2012
- Table 35 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by On-trade vs Off-trade: % Volume 2012
- Table 36 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by On-trade vs Off-trade: % Value 2012
- Table 37 GBO Company Shares of Alcoholic Drinks: % Total Volume 2008-2012
- Table 38 Distribution of Alcoholic Drinks by Format: % Off-trade Value 2007-2012
- Table 39 Distribution of Alcoholic Drinks by Format by Category: % Off-trade Volume 2012
- Table 40 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Volume 2012-2017
- Table 41 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Value 2012-2017
- Table 42 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2012-2017
- Table 43 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Value Growth 2012-2017
Published data comparisons
- Summary 7 Research Sources