- 2014 was a challenging year within beer due to the Colombian government’s re-enforcement of drink driving regulations via Law 1696. The most important change was a stronger standard regarding blood alcohol levels for drivers. The new legal rate is 0 grades of alcohol for every dL of blood while in countries such as the US and UK the limit is 0.08 grades of alcohol for every dL of blood. Additionally, the new law increases fines until Col$14,148,000 (around US$7,000). Leading industry players consider this regulation to be excessive and argue that it had a negative effect on alcoholic drinks overall and particularly beer, which is the most important area by far. Nevertheless, the government claims that deaths from traffic accidents have fallen significantly and one poll showed that the measure is supported by most of the population.
- Bavaria dominates sales in this area, recording a volume share of 98% in 2014 due to the strong positioning of brands such as Aguila, Poker and Pilsen, which are very popular among consumers. The firm follows a strategy of diversification in order to reach all key groups such as the premium segment with Club Colombia and women with Redd’s. In addition, the company has a powerful distribution network able to reach the entire country, particularly through independent small grocers, and invests significant resources in advertising. The firm is the main sponsor of the Colombian football team through is brand Aguila, and during the Brazil World Cup it launched a strong advertising campaign, which included special labels supporting the team on products.
- The most important development over the forecast period will be the arrival of Central Cervecera de Colombia SAS, a joint venture between Postobón SA (one of the main players in non-alcoholic drinks) and Chilean firm Compañía Cerverias Unidas SA. This latter is the national brand owner of Heineken in Chile, and this brand will be distributed exclusively by CCC (beginning March 2015). Initially, the company will supply the market with imports. However, it will build a brewery in Sesquile, Cundinamarca, near Bogota, which will be operational in 2017. CCC expects to provide 15% of beer volume sales in 2017 between Heineken and its domestic mid-priced lager brands and to thus provide direct competition to Bavaria SA.
GET MORE FOR LESS!
For orders of 3 or more reports, in addition to your multi-purchase discount, we will provide any strategy or global briefing absolutely free.
Please contact a web site agent using the chat box or complete the form here to receive your free strategic briefing.
Samples (FAQs about samples):Sample Beer Market Research Report
Sample Beer Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Beer industry in Colombia with research from Euromonitor's team of in- country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Beer industry in Colombia, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Beer in Colombia market research report inclyudes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market volume shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Production, imports by origin, exports by destination
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Beer in Colombia?
- What are the major brands in Colombia?
- How has premium lager performed in the wake of the global recession, has it lost out to economy lager as consumers traded down?
- What are the most popular flavours within non-alcoholic beer?
- What are the market opportunities for ‘healthier’ beers like low calorie and/or low abv beers?
- Has the implementation of a stricter drink driving law benefited sales of low/non-alcohol beer?
- Has the recession benefited domestic lager over imported lager?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Alcoholic Drinks market research database.
Table of Contents
Beer in Colombia - Category Analysis
PRODUCTION, IMPORTS AND EXPORTS
Lager price band methodology
- Summary 1 Lager by Price Band 2014
- Table 1 Number of Breweries 2009-2014
- Table 2 Sales of Beer by Category: Total Volume 2009-2014
- Table 3 Sales of Beer by Category: Total Value 2009-2014
- Table 4 Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 5 Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 6 Sales of Beer by Off-trade vs On-trade: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 7 Sales of Beer by Off-trade vs On-trade: Value 2009-2014
- Table 8 Sales of Beer by Off-trade vs On-trade: % Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 9 Sales of Beer by Off-trade vs On-trade: % Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 10 GBO Company Shares of Beer: % Total Volume 2010-2014
- Table 11 NBO Company Shares of Beer: % Total Volume 2010-2014
- Table 12 LBN Brand Shares of Beer: % Total Volume 2011-2014
- Table 13 Production, Imports and Exports of Beer: Total Volume 2008-2013
- Table 14 Imports of Beer by Country of Origin: Total Volume 2008-2013
- Table 15 Imports of Beer by Country of Origin: Total Value 2008-2013
- Table 16 Exports of Beer by Country of Destination: Total Volume 2008-2013
- Table 17 Exports of Beer by Country of Destination: Total Value 2008-2013
- Table 18 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: Total Volume 2014-2019
- Table 19 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: Total Value 2014-2019
- Table 20 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2014-2019
- Table 21 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Value Growth 2014-2019
Beer in Colombia - Company Profiles
Bavaria SA in Alcoholic Drinks (Colombia)
- Summary 2 Bavaria SA: Key Facts
- Summary 3 Bavaria SA: Operational Indicators
- Summary 4 Bavaria SA: Competitive Position 2014
Alcoholic Drinks in Colombia - Industry Context
Growth within alcoholic drinks slows but remains positive
Preference for new products changing market landscape
Competition from imports and new domestic players results in share redistribution
New drink driving regulations effect on-trade sales
Slow but steady total volume sales growth over forecast period
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Stricter regulation results in slow growth and changing consumer behaviour
Growing middle class turning to premium products
Domestic players adapting to changing competitive landscape
Key new product launches
- Summary 5 Key New Product Developments 2014-2015
- Table 22 Number of On-trade Establishments by Type 2009-2014
TAXATION AND DUTY LEVIES
- Table 23 Taxation and Duty Levies on Alcoholic Drinks 2015
- Table 24 Typical Wholesaler and Retailer Off-trade Mark-ups by Selected Categories 2014
- Table 25 Selling Margin of a Typical Beer Brand in Retail Channel Which Does Not Use Wholesalers 2014
- Table 26 Selling Margin of a Typical Wine Brand in Retail Channel Which Uses Wholesalers 2014
- Table 27 Selling Margin of a Typical Spirits Brand in Retail Channel Which Uses Wholesalers 2014
- Table 28 Retail Consumer Expenditure on Alcoholic Drinks 2009-2014
- Table 29 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Volume 2009-2014
- Table 30 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Value 2009-2014
- Table 31 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 32 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 33 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by Off-trade vs On-trade: Volume 2014
- Table 34 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by Off-trade vs On-trade: Value 2014
- Table 35 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by Off-trade vs On-trade: % Volume 2014
- Table 36 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by Off-trade vs On-trade: % Value 2014
- Table 37 GBO Company Shares of Alcoholic Drinks: % Total Volume 2010-2014
- Table 38 Distribution of Alcoholic Drinks by Format: % Off-trade Value 2009-2014
- Table 39 Distribution of Alcoholic Drinks by Format and Category: % Off-trade Volume 2014
- Table 40 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Volume 2014-2019
- Table 41 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Value 2014-2019
- Table 42 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2014-2019
- Table 43 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Value Growth 2014-2019
Published data comparisons
- Summary 6 Research Sources