- Danish beer consumption is on a long term trend of decline which continued into 2012. There are several factors behind this: poor 2012 summer weather, changing consumer preferences, the economic downturn, and high excise duties fuelling further growth in German cross-border trade. The unit price on beer was 50% lower in Germany in 2011, and the Danish excise duty on beer was raised again in January 2012, driving up retail prices by an additional 1% in 2012. Consumers thus continued to substitute beer with spirits and RTDs/high-strength premixes in 2012, and made journeys of up to 200km to shop for cheaper beer, wine and soft drinks in Germany. The Danish Brewery Association estimates that approximately one third of domestic consumption of beer, or 191 million litres, were purchased in Germany in 2011 and the figure has grown by 10% since 2009.
- The leading beer players were Danish multinationals Carlsberg, with a 57% total volume share and Royal Unibrew, with a 21% share in 2012. Both companies are heavily present in domestic standard lager and both invested great efforts over the review period into better addressing the under 30 year old consumer group, which is proportionally more female and less beer-friendly.
- The key challenge over the forecast period for Carlsberg and Royal Unibrew will be to turn around the tide of declining beer sales in Denmark. The category can therefore expect to see more product, packaging, and branding innovation targeting the 16 to 30 years age group, especially females. However, reversing the trend in beer might not only be down to taste and branding. Young consumers have the lowest disposable incomes and thus are the most price sensitive. Excise duties at the end of the review period also placed beer at a price competitive disadvantage against spirits. A six-pack of 330ml beer typically costs DKr40.00-50.00 in grocery retail, while a bottle of economy branded vodka or other spirits which contains 35 units of alcohol can be acquired for as little as DKr70.00.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Beer Market Research Report
Sample Beer Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Beer industry in Denmark with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Beer industry in Denmark, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Beer in Denmark market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market volume shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Production, imports by origin, exports by destination
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Beer in Denmark?
- What are the major brands in Denmark?
- How has premium lager performed in the wake of the global recession, has it lost out to economy lager as consumers traded down?
- What are the most popular flavours within non-alcoholic beer?
- What are the market opportunities for ‘healthier’ beers like low calorie and/or low abv beers?
- Has the implementation of a stricter drink driving law benefited sales of low/non-alcohol beer?
- Has the recession benefited domestic lager over imported lager?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Alcoholic Drinks market research database.
Table of Contents
Beer in Denmark - Category Analysis
PRODUCTION, IMPORTS AND EXPORTS
Lager price band methodology
- Summary 1 Lager by Price Band 2012
- Table 1 Number of Breweries 2007-2012
- Table 2 Sales of Beer by Category: Total Volume 2007-2012
- Table 3 Sales of Beer by Category: Total Value 2007-2012
- Table 4 Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2007-2012
- Table 5 Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 6 Sales of Beer by On-trade vs Off-trade: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 7 Sales of Beer by On-trade vs Off-trade: Value 2007-2012
- Table 8 Sales of Beer by On-trade vs Off-trade: % Volume Growth 2007-2012
- Table 9 Sales of Beer by On-trade vs Off-trade: % Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 10 GBO Company Shares of Beer: % Total Volume 2008-2012
- Table 11 NBO Company Shares of Beer: % Total Volume 2008-2012
- Table 12 LBN Brand Shares of Beer: % Total Volume 2009-2012
- Table 13 Production, Imports and Exports of Beer: Total Volume 2006-2011
- Table 14 Imports of Beer by Country of Origin: Total Volume 2006-2011
- Table 15 Imports of Beer by Country of Origin: Total Value 2006-2011
- Table 16 Exports of Beer by Country of Destination: Total Volume 2006-2011
- Table 17 Exports of Beer by Country of Destination: Total Value 2006-2011
- Table 18 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: Total Volume 2012-2017
- Table 19 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: Total Value 2012-2017
- Table 20 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2012-2017
- Table 21 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Value Growth 2012-2017
Beer in Denmark - Company Profiles
Harboes Bryggeri A/S in Alcoholic Drinks (Denmark)
- Summary 2 Harboes Bryggeri A/S: Key Facts
- Summary 3 Harboes Bryggeri A/S: Operational Indicators
- Summary 4 Harboes Bryggeri A/S: Competitive Position 2012
Royal Unibrew A/S in Alcoholic Drinks (Denmark)
- Summary 5 Royal Unibrew A/S: Key Facts
- Summary 6 Royal Unibrew A/S: Operational Indicators
- Summary 7 Royal Unibrew A/S: Production Statistics 2012
- Summary 8 Royal Unibrew A/S: Competitive Position 2012
Alcoholic Drinks in Denmark - Industry Context
Danish alcoholic drinks consumption remains in decline
More than a third of beers consumed in Denmark are bought in Germany
Consumer preferences are changing away from beer
On-trade sales in recovery
Alcoholic drinks sales to stabilise with economic recovery
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Danish alcohol consumption is in decline
Increasing feminisation of younger Danes’ preferences in alcoholic drinks
Cross-border trade is becoming routine
Younger and female consumers remain the key challenge for beer manufacturers
- Summary 9 Key New Product Developments 2012-2013
Specialist retailers lose sales to grocery retailers
- Summary 10 Leading Specialist Retailers 2012
No merger and acquisition activity, companies waiting for transparency
- Table 22 Number of On-trade Establishments by Type 2007-2012
TAXATION AND DUTY LEVIES
- Summary 11 Taxation and Duty Levies on Alcoholic Drinks 2012
- Table 23 Selling Margin of a Typical Beer Brand in Retail Channel that does not use Wholesalers 2012
- Table 24 Selling Margin of a Typical Wine Brand in Retail Channel that Does Not Use Wholesalers 2012
- Table 25 Selling Margin of a Typical Spirits Brand in Retail Channel that does not use Wholesalers 2012
- Table 26 Retail Consumer Expenditure on Alcoholic Drinks 2007-2012
- Table 27 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Volume 2007-2012
- Table 28 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Value 2007-2012
- Table 29 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2007-2012
- Table 30 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 31 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by On-trade vs Off-trade: Volume 2012
- Table 32 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by On-trade vs Off-trade: Value 2012
- Table 33 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by On-trade vs Off-trade: % Volume 2012
- Table 34 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by On-trade vs Off-trade: % Value 2012
- Table 35 GBO Company Shares of Alcoholic Drinks: % Total Volume 2008-2012
- Table 36 Distribution of Alcoholic Drinks by Format: % Off-trade Value 2007-2012
- Table 37 Distribution of Alcoholic Drinks by Format by Category: % Off-trade Volume 2012
- Table 38 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Volume 2012-2017
- Table 39 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Value 2012-2017
- Table 40 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2012-2017
- Table 41 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Value Growth 2012-2017
Published data comparisons
- Summary 12 Research Sources