- 2013 was an eventful year for the beer industry in Denmark. After several years of declining volume sales of beer, 2013 displayed the most positive growth on this side of the millennium and is furthermore only the second time beer volume sales increased in the last 15 years. The majority attributes the upturn in volume sales to the lowering of excise duty levels by 15% in July 2013, making Danish beer more competitive against the alluring border trade in Germany which based on estimations by the tax authorities account for approximately 31% or 151 million litres of Danish consumption in 2012. Additionally, a very warm and sunny summer helped facilitate the boost in volume sales of beer. Intense discussions involving most of the governing players, the brewery association and the Minister of Health regarding a rise in alcohol levels from 0.1% to 0.5% for non/low alcoholic beer were ongoing throughout 2013. The change in regulation will in all likelihood occur in the beginning of 2014. Other significant events in 2013 include a record number of new product launches, 838 to be exact and a price conflict between the leading player, Carlsberg and Denmark’s largest grocery chain Coop.
- The two domestic brewery giants, Carlsberg and Royal Unibrew, continued to dominate the beer environment in Denmark in 2013 with a combined total volume share of 72%. Carlsberg which is the fourth largest brewing company in the world governed domestic beer throughout the review period, amounting to a volume share of 51% in 2013. Carlsberg has an extremely long history in Denmark dating back to 1847, consequently contributing to the large and faithful consumer base which the company enjoys. Brands such as Tuborg Grøn and Carlsberg Pilsner constitute the standard for what is perceived as domestic standard or mid-priced brands. Carlsberg has managed to maintain its strong position through extensive media coverage, wide product portfolio including standard brands, speciality beers and a selection of imported options as well as a wide distribution network in all of the major grocery chains in Denmark. Royal Unibrew which registered volume share of 21% in 2013 is often referred to as the other brewery; the company ranked second after Carlsberg throughout the review period. Royal Unibrew have proven particularly successful within the premium segment, producing the largest domestic premium brand Royal Export and distributing the governing imported premium brand Heineken Premium. The company has furthermore successfully managed to renew its product selection in a way which to a larger extent than most of its competitors appeal to the somewhat younger demographic, frequently referred to as the rock beer of Denmark due to its establishment of the rock portal where a significant number of Danish bands get the opportunity to display their talents.
- The excise tax level of beer and the expected change in ABV level for non/low alcoholic drinks will in all likelihood continue to be the focal point throughout the forecast period. A favourable result from the lowering of the excise tax level by 15% in July 2013 for beer, leading to significantly improved volume sales will presumably result in the discussion of further reductions as the tax level remains higher than when the new government took office. Estimations from the Danish Chamber of Commerce, prior to the 15% reduction, exemplified that cutting the beer tax in half would result in increased domestic sales worth approximately DKK2 billion and create 1,450 new full-time employment opportunities.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Beer Market Research Report
Sample Beer Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Beer industry in Denmark with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Beer industry in Denmark, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Beer in Denmark market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market volume shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Production, imports by origin, exports by destination
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Beer in Denmark?
- What are the major brands in Denmark?
- How has premium lager performed in the wake of the global recession, has it lost out to economy lager as consumers traded down?
- What are the most popular flavours within non-alcoholic beer?
- What are the market opportunities for ‘healthier’ beers like low calorie and/or low abv beers?
- Has the implementation of a stricter drink driving law benefited sales of low/non-alcohol beer?
- Has the recession benefited domestic lager over imported lager?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Alcoholic Drinks market research database.
Table of Contents
Beer in Denmark - Category Analysis
- Table 1 Beer: Total Volume Sales – Off-Trade Vs On-Trade 2008-2013
- Table 2 Danish Microbreweries % Share of Total Beer Sales 2007-2012
PRODUCTION, IMPORTS AND EXPORTS
- Table 3 Danish Beer Internationalisation 2004-2012
- Table 4 Beer Total Volume Sales – Imports vs Domestic 2004-2012
Lager price band methodology
- Summary 1 Lager by Price Band 2013
- Table 5 Number of Breweries 2009-2013
- Table 6 Sales of Beer by Category: Total Volume 2008-2013
- Table 7 Sales of Beer by Category: Total Value 2008-2013
- Table 8 Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 9 Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 10 Sales of Beer by Off-trade vs On-trade: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 11 Sales of Beer by Off-trade vs On-trade: Value 2008-2013
- Table 12 Sales of Beer by Off-trade vs On-trade: % Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 13 Sales of Beer by Off-trade vs On-trade: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 14 GBO Company Shares of Beer: % Total Volume 2009-2013
- Table 15 NBO Company Shares of Beer: % Total Volume 2009-2013
- Table 16 LBN Brand Shares of Beer: % Total Volume 2010-2013
- Table 17 Production, Imports and Exports of Beer: Total Volume 2007-2012
- Table 18 Imports of Beer by Country of Origin: Total Volume 2007-2012
- Table 19 Imports of Beer by Country of Origin: Total Value 2007-2012
- Table 20 Exports of Beer by Country of Destination: Total Volume 2007-2012
- Table 21 Exports of Beer by Country of Destination: Total Value 2007-2012
- Table 22 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: Total Volume 2013-2018
- Table 23 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: Total Value 2013-2018
- Table 24 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 25 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Value Growth 2013-2018
Beer in Denmark - Company Profiles
Harboes Bryggeri A/S in Alcoholic Drinks (Denmark)
- Summary 2 Harboes Bryggeri A/S: Key Facts
- Summary 3 Harboes Bryggeri A/S: Operational Indicators
- Summary 4 Harboes Bryggeri A/S: Competitive Position 2013
Royal Unibrew A/S in Alcoholic Drinks (Denmark)
- Summary 5 Royal Unibrew A/S: Key Facts
- Summary 6 Royal Unibrew A/S: Operational Indicators
- Summary 7 Royal Unibrew A/S: Production Statistics 2013
- Summary 8 Royal Unibrew A/S: Competitive Position 2013
Alcoholic Drinks in Denmark - Industry Context
Light at the end of the tunnel
Beer is revived once more
Domestic giants continue to dominate
The strive for everyday luxury boosts on-trade
Economic stabilisation leads to a brighter outlook
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Alcohol consumption among young people is declining
Cross-border trade is growing
- Table 26 Cross-border, Private Imports, Contraband and Parallel Trade in Denmark 2007-2012
Consumer preference of alcoholic drinks impacts sales
Key new product launches
- Table 27 Key New Product Developments Beer 2007-2013
- Summary 9 Key New Product Developments 2013 Beer by Different ABV
- Summary 10 Key New Product Developments 2013
- Table 28 Number of On-trade Establishments by Type 2008-2013
TAXATION AND DUTY LEVIES
- Table 29 Taxation and Duty Levies on Alcoholic Drinks 2013
- Table 30 Typical Wholesaler and Retailer Off-trade Mark-ups by Selected Categories 2013
- Table 31 Selling Margin of a Typical Beer Brand in Retail Channel that uses Wholesalers 2013
- Table 32 Selling Margin of a Typical Beer Brand in Retail Channel that does not use Wholesalers 2013
- Table 33 Selling Margin of a Typical Wine Brand in Retail Channel that Does Not Use Wholesalers 2013
- Table 34 Selling Margin of a Typical Spirits Brand in Retail Channel that does not use Wholesalers 2013
- Table 35 Retail Consumer Expenditure on Alcoholic Drinks 2008-2013
- Table 36 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Volume 2008-2013
- Table 37 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by Off-trade vs On-trade: Volume 2013
- Table 38 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by Off-trade vs On-trade: Value 2013
- Table 39 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by Off-trade vs On-trade: % Volume 2013
- Table 40 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by Off-trade vs On-trade: % Value 2013
- Table 41 GBO Company Shares of Alcoholic Drinks: % Total Volume 2009-2013
- Table 42 Distribution of Alcoholic Drinks by Format: % Off-trade Value 2008-2013
- Table 43 Distribution of Alcoholic Drinks by Format and Category: % Off-trade Volume 2013
- Table 44 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Volume 2013-2018
- Table 45 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Value 2013-2018
- Table 46 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 47 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Value Growth 2013-2018
Published data comparisons
- Summary 11 Research Sources