- Demand for beer continued to increase in Switzerland in 2012, despite the slowdown recorded in tourism flows and the adverse weather conditions during summer 2012. The category continued to benefit substantially from the rising popularity of imported lager, which Swiss consumers increasingly prefer to domestic lager due to its relatively low average unit price in the economy segment and the greater variety of products in the premium segment. Domestic lager, meanwhile continued to register declines in demand. As such, the share of imported lager as a percentage of total beer volume sales in Switzerland reached 23% in 2012.
- Feldschlösschen Getränke AG remained the leading player in beer in Switzerland in 2012 with a total volume share of 40%. The company was able to extend its strong position o the category towards the end of the review period due to its strong marketing activities, including television spots and special promotions. Feldschlösschen is the only Swiss beer brand which is distributed throughout the country, a feature that the company stresses in its most recent television advertising spots under the slogan “Feldschlösschen verbindet” (Feldschlösschen unites). The brand also benefits from its wide product range, which includes various innovations such as organic lager, flavoured lager and low alcohol lager.
- During the forecast period, sales of beer in Switzerland are set to continue being driven by rising demand for imported lager. While domestic lager faces static and even slightly declining growth during the forecast period, the popularity of imported lager is expected to continue growing as a cheap alternative to domestic lager or, alternatively, as an exotic, premium indulgence.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Beer Market Research Report
Sample Beer Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Beer industry in Switzerland with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Beer industry in Switzerland, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Beer in Switzerland market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market volume shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Production, imports by origin, exports by destination
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Beer in Switzerland?
- What are the major brands in Switzerland?
- How has premium lager performed in the wake of the global recession, has it lost out to economy lager as consumers traded down?
- What are the most popular flavours within non-alcoholic beer?
- What are the market opportunities for ‘healthier’ beers like low calorie and/or low abv beers?
- Has the implementation of a stricter drink driving law benefited sales of low/non-alcohol beer?
- Has the recession benefited domestic lager over imported lager?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Alcoholic Drinks market research database.
Table of Contents
Beer in Switzerland - Category Analysis
PRODUCTION, IMPORTS AND EXPORTS
Lager price band methodology
- Summary 1 Lager by Price Band 2012
- Table 1 Sales of Beer by Category: Total Volume 2007-2012
- Table 2 Sales of Beer by Category: Total Value 2007-2012
- Table 3 Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2007-2012
- Table 4 Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 5 Sales of Beer by On-trade vs Off-trade: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 6 Sales of Beer by On-trade vs Off-trade: Value 2007-2012
- Table 7 Sales of Beer by On-trade vs Off-trade: % Volume Growth 2007-2012
- Table 8 Sales of Beer by On-trade vs Off-trade: % Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 9 GBO Company Shares of Beer: % Total Volume 2008-2012
- Table 10 NBO Company Shares of Beer: % Total Volume 2008-2012
- Table 11 LBN Brand Shares of Beer: % Total Volume 2009-2012
- Table 12 Production, Imports and Exports of Beer: Total Volume 2006-2011
- Table 13 Imports of Beer by Country of Origin: Total Volume 2006-2011
- Table 14 Imports of Beer by Country of Origin: Total Value 2006-2011
- Table 15 Exports of Beer by Country of Destination: Total Volume 2006-2011
- Table 16 Exports of Beer by Country of Destination: Total Value 2006-2011
- Table 17 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: Total Volume 2012-2017
- Table 18 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: Total Value 2012-2017
- Table 19 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2012-2017
- Table 20 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Value Growth 2012-2017
Beer in Switzerland - Company Profiles
Feldschlösschen Getränke AG in Alcoholic Drinks (Switzerland)
- Summary 2 Feldschlösschen Getränke AG: Key Facts
- Summary 3 Feldschlösschen Getränke AG: Operational Indicators
- Summary 4 Feldschlösschen Getränke AG: Competitive Position 2012
Alcoholic Drinks in Switzerland - Industry Context
Sales stagnate amidst declining consumer confidence
Swiss consumers show growing preference for lighter, sweeter and flavoured alcoholic drinks
Beer producers continue to dominate competitive environment
Off-trade remains the preferred channel among Swiss consumers
Alcoholic drinks faces a difficult forecast period
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Dampened consumer spending confidence shapes consumer demand
Unit prices remains static due to competition from cheap imports
Changing consumer profiles drive demand for lighter and sweeter alcoholic drinks
Key new product launches
- Summary 5 Key New Product Developments 2012
- Summary 6 Leading Specialist Retailers 2012
Market merger and acquisition activity
- Summary 7 Merger and Acquisition Activity 2011-2012
- Table 21 Number of On-trade Establishments by Type 2007-2012
TAXATION AND DUTY LEVIES
- Table 22 Taxation and Duty Levies on Alcoholic Drinks 2012
- Table 23 Typical Wholesaler and Retailer Off-trade Mark-ups by Selected Categories 2012
- Table 24 Selling Margin of a Typical Beer Brand in Retail Channel that Uses Wholesalers 2012
- Table 25 Selling Margin of a Typical Wine Brand in Retail Channel that Uses Wholesalers 2012
- Table 26 Selling Margin of a Typical Spirits Brand in Retail Channel that Uses Wholesalers 2012
- Table 27 Retail Consumer Expenditure on Alcoholic Drinks 2007-2012
- Table 28 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Volume 2007-2012
- Table 29 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Value 2007-2012
- Table 30 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2007-2012
- Table 31 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 32 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by On-trade vs Off-trade: Volume 2012
- Table 33 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by On-trade vs Off-trade: Value 2012
- Table 34 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by On-trade vs Off-trade: % Volume 2012
- Table 35 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by On-trade vs Off-trade: % Value 2012
- Table 36 GBO Company Shares of Alcoholic Drinks: % Total Volume 2008-2012
- Table 37 Distribution of Alcoholic Drinks by Format: % Off-trade Value 2007-2012
- Table 38 Distribution of Alcoholic Drinks by Format by Category: % Off-trade Volume 2012
- Table 39 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Volume 2012-2017
- Table 40 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Value 2012-2017
- Table 41 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2012-2017
- Table 42 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Value Growth 2012-2017
Published data comparisons
- Summary 8 Research Sources