- Craft beer in the US continued to agitate the beer market in the US. Driven by the millennial generation, consumers are shifting their tastes from affordable domestic lagers to premium craft beers. Craft beers, most abundant in ale, weissbier/weizen/wheat, and stout styles, have been able to capture consumer attention through high-quality products typically produced locally. Growing parallel to craft beers are changing consumption habits, with craft beer drinkers opting for lower total beer volume consumption if it means drinking a higher-quality, more expensive product. These shifts are most recognisable within domestic mid-priced lagers and domestic economy lagers, which exhibited total volume declines of 1% and 3%, respectively, in 2014. As a result, these combined domestic lagers lost total beer volume share, which declined from 69% in 2013 to 67% in 2014.
- Anheuser-Busch InBev (A-B InBev) is the largest US beer manufacturer, accounting for a 45% share of total volume sales in 2014. Two of the company’s brands – Bud Light and Budweiser – are still amongst the top five beer brands in the US, whilst Natural Light slipped to the sixth position in terms of volume sales in 2013. Although A-B InBev is very strong in the US market, its sales declined by 11% over the review period, falling to 11.0 billion litres. The company has been affected by the overall decline of the beer category and the popularity of craft beers. Real growth for the company is coming from other categories such as cider/perry and malt-based RTDs, with its continued diversification strategy paying off. Anheuser-Busch showed volume growth in cider/perry, whilst its malt-based RTD brand Bud Light Lime-a-Rita was a star performer in RTDs/high-strength premixes.
- Craft beer has the most room for innovation and the strongest potential for growth in the US. Consumers with their increasingly global palates are demanding diverse offerings and in-depth flavours from local and regional breweries. Craft brewers differentiate their beers by creating genuine relationships with their consumers through storytelling and loyalty building. They focus on the general desire of consumers to connect with the local. IPAs are considered the most popular craft beers and they are expected to continue to do well, however, other beer styles are expected to experience more rapid growth as consumers look to differentiate and explore flavour profiles they are unfamiliar with. Whilst distributors worry about significant additional investments in warehouse space, equipment, inventory and personnel for craft beers, they also point to the fast-growing number of brands and SKUs as a potential problem.
Samples (FAQs about samples):Sample Beer Market Research Report
Sample Beer Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Beer industry in USA with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Beer industry in USA, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Beer in USA market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market volume shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Production, imports by origin, exports by destination
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Beer in USA?
- What are the major brands in USA?
- How has premium lager performed in the wake of the global recession, has it lost out to economy lager as consumers traded down?
- What are the most popular flavours within non-alcoholic beer?
- What are the market opportunities for ‘healthier’ beers like low calorie and/or low abv beers?
- Has the implementation of a stricter drink driving law benefited sales of low/non-alcohol beer?
- Has the recession benefited domestic lager over imported lager?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Alcoholic Drinks market research database.
Table of Contents
Beer in the US - Category Analysis
PRODUCTION, IMPORTS AND EXPORTS
Lager price band methodology
- Summary 1 Lager by Price Band 2014
- Table 1 Number of Breweries 2009-2014
- Table 2 Sales of Beer by Category: Total Volume 2009-2014
- Table 3 Sales of Beer by Category: Total Value 2009-2014
- Table 4 Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 5 Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 6 Sales of Beer by Off-trade vs On-trade: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 7 Sales of Beer by Off-trade vs On-trade: Value 2009-2014
- Table 8 Sales of Beer by Off-trade vs On-trade: % Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 9 Sales of Beer by Off-trade vs On-trade: % Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 10 GBO Company Shares of Beer: % Total Volume 2010-2014
- Table 11 NBO Company Shares of Beer: % Total Volume 2010-2014
- Table 12 LBN Brand Shares of Beer: % Total Volume 2011-2014
- Table 13 Production, Imports and Exports of Beer: Total Volume 2008-2013
- Table 14 Imports of Beer by Country of Origin: Total Volume 2008-2013
- Table 15 Imports of Beer by Country of Origin: Total Value 2008-2013
- Table 16 Exports of Beer by Country of Destination: Total Volume 2008-2013
- Table 17 Exports of Beer by Country of Destination: Total Value 2008-2013
- Table 18 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: Total Volume 2014-2019
- Table 19 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: Total Value 2014-2019
- Table 20 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2014-2019
- Table 21 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Value Growth 2014-2019
Beer in the US - Company Profiles
Anheuser-Busch InBev NV in Alcoholic Drinks (USA)
- Summary 2 Anheuser-Busch InBev NV: Key Facts
- Summary 3 Anheuser-Busch InBev NV: Operational Indicators
- Summary 4 Anheuser-Busch InBev NV: Competitive Position 2014
Boston Beer Co Inc, The in Alcoholic Drinks (USA)
- Summary 5 The Boston Beer Co Inc: Key Facts
- Summary 6 The Boston Beer Co Inc: Operational Indicators
- Summary 7 The Boston Beer Co Inc: Competitive Position 2014
Alcoholic Drinks in the US - Industry Context
Premiumisation fuels growth across categories
Craft gains ground
Anheuser-Busch remains leader in alcoholic drinks
Warehouse clubs growing fast
Millennials propel change in years to come
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Mass-produced beer becomes hard to brew
Craft beer still hard to define
Nutrition information sticks to alcohol
Key new product launches
- Summary 8 Key New Product Developments 2014-2015
- Table 22 Number of On-trade Establishments by Type 2009-2014
TAXATION AND DUTY LEVIES
- Table 23 Taxation and Duty Levies on Alcoholic Drinks 2014
- Table 24 Typical Wholesaler and Retailer Off-trade Mark-ups by Selected Categories 2014
- Table 25 Selling Margin of a Typical Beer Brand in Retail Channel Which Uses Wholesalers 2014
- Table 26 Selling Margin of a Typical Wine Brand in Retail Channel Which Uses Wholesalers 2014
- Table 27 Selling Margin of a Typical Spirits Brand in Retail Channel Which Uses Wholesalers 2014
- Table 28 Retail Consumer Expenditure on Alcoholic Drinks 2009-2014
- Table 29 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Volume 2009-2014
- Table 30 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Value 2009-2014
- Table 31 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 32 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 33 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by Off-trade vs On-trade: Volume 2014
- Table 34 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by Off-trade vs On-trade: Value 2014
- Table 35 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by Off-trade vs On-trade: % Volume 2014
- Table 36 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by Off-trade vs On-trade: % Value 2014
- Table 37 GBO Company Shares of Alcoholic Drinks: % Total Volume 2010-2014
- Table 38 Distribution of Alcoholic Drinks by Format: % Off-trade Value 2009-2014
- Table 39 Distribution of Alcoholic Drinks by Format and Category: % Off-trade Volume 2014
- Table 40 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Volume 2014-2019
- Table 41 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Value 2014-2019
- Table 42 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2014-2019
- Table 43 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Value Growth 2014-2019
- Summary 9 Research Sources