- Following the good performance of most beer areas in 2014, (partly due to success of Cost Rica in the FIFA World Cup), beer is becoming increasingly polarised, with demand rising for economy and standard imported lagers, on the one hand, and local and more sophisticated craft beers, on the other. While off-trade players continue to focus on offering a broader range of imported brands (at expense of traditional local brands), the rise in the popularity of value added beers is mostly being seen on-trade, especially among mid and higher income young adults, who are looking for higher quality and innovative beer formulations and flavours.
- In spite of the growing popularity of both craft beers and imported lagers during 2015, local manufacturer and distributor Florida Bebidas maintained its strong leadership within beer, benefiting from the good positioning of its traditional Imperial, Pilsen and Bavaria brands, which are complemented by the distribution of best-selling imported brands such as Corona, Budweiser and Toña (94% of total volume sales in 2015). The company’s success can be attributed to benefits of scale regarding manufacturing and distribution, combined with a strong product portfolio which continues to offer good value for money for a vast number of mid and lower income buyers throughout the country.
- It is anticipated that the craft beer movement will continue to unfold over the next five years in Costa Rica, with the area gradually stabilising in terms of number of brands available. On-trade outlets are thus set to become more involved in this area, with companies ready to adopt the artisanal approach on a wider scale, with some players brewing their own recipes. The best positioned artisanal local competitors should be capable of adopting their own on-trade concepts to expand brand awareness and distribution capacity and diversify their business models while obtaining additional revenues for such initiatives.
GET MORE FOR LESS!
For orders of 3 or more reports, in addition to your multi-purchase discount, we will provide any strategy or global briefing absolutely free.
Please contact a web site agent using the chat box or complete the form here to receive your free strategic briefing.
Samples (FAQs about samples):Sample Beer Market Research Report
Sample Beer Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Beer industry in Costa Rica with research from Euromonitor's team of in- country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Beer industry in Costa Rica, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Beer in Costa Rica market research report inclyudes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market volume shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Production, imports by origin, exports by destination
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Beer in Costa Rica?
- What are the major brands in Costa Rica?
- How has premium lager performed in the wake of the global recession, has it lost out to economy lager as consumers traded down?
- What are the most popular flavours within non-alcoholic beer?
- What are the market opportunities for ‘healthier’ beers like low calorie and/or low abv beers?
- Has the implementation of a stricter drink driving law benefited sales of low/non-alcohol beer?
- Has the recession benefited domestic lager over imported lager?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Alcoholic Drinks market research database.
Table of Contents
Beer in Costa Rica - Category Analysis
PRODUCTION, IMPORTS AND EXPORTS
Lager price band methodology
- Summary 1 Lager by Price Band 2015
- Table 1 Number of Breweries 2010-2015
- Table 2 Sales of Beer by Category: Total Volume 2010-2015
- Table 3 Sales of Beer by Category: Total Value 2010-2015
- Table 4 Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 5 Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 6 Sales of Beer by Off-trade vs On-trade: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 7 Sales of Beer by Off-trade vs On-trade: Value 2010-2015
- Table 8 Sales of Beer by Off-trade vs On-trade: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 9 Sales of Beer by Off-trade vs On-trade: % Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 10 GBO Company Shares of Beer: % Total Volume 2011-2015
- Table 11 NBO Company Shares of Beer: % Total Volume 2011-2015
- Table 12 LBN Brand Shares of Beer: % Total Volume 2012-2015
- Table 13 Production, Imports and Exports of Beer: Total Volume 2009-2014
- Table 14 Imports of Beer by Country of Origin: Total Volume 2009-2014
- Table 15 Imports of Beer by Country of Origin: Total Value 2009-2014
- Table 16 Exports of Beer by Country of Destination: Total Volume 2009-2014
- Table 17 Exports of Beer by Country of Destination: Total Value 2009-2014
- Table 18 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: Total Volume 2015-2020
- Table 19 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: Total Value 2015-2020
- Table 20 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 21 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Value Growth 2015-2020
Beer in Costa Rica - Company Profiles
Grupo Pampa SA in Alcoholic Drinks (Costa Rica)
- Summary 2 Grupo Pampa: Key Facts
- Summary 3 Grupo Pampa SA Competitive Position 2015
Alcoholic Drinks in Costa Rica - Industry Context
Sluggish economic growth continues to impact demand for alcoholic drinks
Companies continue to focus on innovation and different value propositions
Competition fuelled by segmentation and different consumer value expectations
Modern grocery outlet expansion boosts off-trade sales
Positioning and tailored value proposals to be key over forecast period
- Table 22 Number of On-trade Establishments by Type 2010-2015
TAXATION AND DUTY LEVIES
- Table 23 Taxation and Duty Levies on Alcoholic Drinks 2015
- Table 24 Typical Wholesaler and Retailer Off-trade Mark-ups by Selected Categories 2015
- Table 25 Selling Margin of a Typical Beer Brand in Retail Channel Which Uses Wholesalers 2015
- Table 26 Selling Margin of a Typical Wine Brand in Retail Channel Which Uses Wholesalers 2015
- Table 27 Selling Margin of a Typical Spirits Brand in Retail Channel Which Uses Wholesalers 2015
KEY NEW PRODUCT LAUNCHES
- Table 28 Retail Consumer Expenditure on Alcoholic Drinks 2010-2015
- Table 29 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Volume 2010-2015
- Table 30 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Value 2010-2015
- Table 31 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 32 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 33 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by Off-trade vs On-trade: Volume 2015
- Table 34 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by Off-trade vs On-trade: Value 2015
- Table 35 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by Off-trade vs On-trade: % Volume 2015
- Table 36 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by Off-trade vs On-trade: % Value 2015
- Table 37 GBO Company Shares of Alcoholic Drinks: % Total Volume 2011-2015
- Table 38 Distribution of Alcoholic Drinks by Format: % Off-trade Value 2010-2015
- Table 39 Distribution of Alcoholic Drinks by Format by Category: % Off-trade Volume 2015
- Table 40 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Volume 2015-2020
- Table 41 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Value 2015-2020
- Table 42 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 43 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Value Growth 2015-2020
- Summary 4 Research Sources