- The local beer category has been experiencing a gradual movement towards artisanal crafting, with local consumers not only becoming more interested in flavour variety but also in experiencing and making their own artisanal beer, which has benefited from the ongoing opening of new markets and the globalisation process (better equipment, information and raw material access). Due to this, microbreweries became significantly more popular in the country in 2013, especially within the metropolitan area, which is composed of the main cities. At the same time, the global ‘pub’ trend has started to generate demand in the local market, with consumers (mostly 25-34 years old, the key beer consumer group) becoming very attracted to popular bar-restaurants. On the other hand the increasing availability of economic-standard alternatives and the ongoing economic downturn keep making certain consumer groups reluctant to frequent bars, opting for buying alcoholic drinks at the supermarket (taking advantage of special promotions) and for gatherings at home.
- Florida Bebidas remained the dominant leader in beer, accounting for a 93% share of total volume sales during 2013, benefiting from the strong positioning of its leading brands Imperial and Pilsen, which are widely available at most on- and off-trade channels. These products have become traditional trademark brands among locals, while also gaining brand-awareness from the significant amount of tourists who continually visit the country. Florida Bebidas has successfully achieved economies of scale in the production and distribution of its beer brands, which puts the local brewer in a very favourable position for offering competitive prices and good-quality products. Besides this, the company produces the well-positioned and still-consolidating premium lager Heineken while continuing to control the distribution of the leading imported mid-priced lager, Toña, and the leading imported premium lager Corona Extra, which helps to reinforce the current entrance barriers to any significant new player. The rest of the beer category volume shares remains highly fragmented, with many small and medium local distributors offering wide portfolios of imported brands.
- The forecast period is expected to see further imported economy lager in the local market, which might keep adding pressure in terms of unit price decreases and profit margins. However, the strong preference for locally manufactured beer and the top-of-mind positioning developed by Florida Bebidas’ brands might keep domestic lager as the most popular option among the majority of consumers, who are accustomed to its flavour while strongly identifying with the Imperial brand. In terms of innovation, artisanal craft beer is anticipated to keep consolidating over 2013-2018, given the positive levels of acceptance and identification showed by the local population, which have been followed by the emergence of creative pubs and bars. Even so, alcoholic drinks consumers might keep opting for the off-trade channel, in order to benefit from promotions and low prices and to comply with the ongoing Transit Law.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Beer Market Research Report
Sample Beer Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Beer industry in Costa Rica with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Beer industry in Costa Rica, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Beer in Costa Rica market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market volume shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Production, imports by origin, exports by destination
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Beer in Costa Rica?
- What are the major brands in Costa Rica?
- How has premium lager performed in the wake of the global recession, has it lost out to economy lager as consumers traded down?
- What are the most popular flavours within non-alcoholic beer?
- What are the market opportunities for ‘healthier’ beers like low calorie and/or low abv beers?
- Has the implementation of a stricter drink driving law benefited sales of low/non-alcohol beer?
- Has the recession benefited domestic lager over imported lager?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Alcoholic Drinks market research database.
Table of Contents
Beer in Costa Rica - Category Analysis
PRODUCTION, IMPORTS AND EXPORTS
Lager price band methodology
- Summary 1 Lager by Price Band 2013
- Table 1 Number of Breweries 2008-2013
- Table 2 Sales of Beer by Category: Total Volume 2008-2013
- Table 3 Sales of Beer by Category: Total Value 2008-2013
- Table 4 Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 5 Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 6 Sales of Beer by Off-trade vs On-trade: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 7 Sales of Beer by Off-trade vs On-trade: Value 2008-2013
- Table 8 Sales of Beer by Off-trade vs On-trade: % Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 9 Sales of Beer by Off-trade vs On-trade: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 10 GBO Company Shares of Beer: % Total Volume 2009-2013
- Table 11 NBO Company Shares of Beer: % Total Volume 2009-2013
- Table 12 LBN Brand Shares of Beer: % Total Volume 2010-2013
- Table 13 Production, Imports and Exports of Beer: Total Volume 2007-2012
- Table 14 Imports of Beer by Country of Origin: Total Volume 2007-2012
- Table 15 Imports of Beer by Country of Origin: Total Value 2007-2012
- Table 16 Exports of Beer by Country of Destination: Total Volume 2007-2012
- Table 17 Exports of Beer by Country of Destination: Total Value 2007-2012
- Table 18 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: Total Volume 2013-2018
- Table 19 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: Total Value 2013-2018
- Table 20 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 21 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Value Growth 2013-2018
Beer in Costa Rica - Company Profiles
Florida Bebidas SA in Alcoholic Drinks (Costa Rica)
- Summary 2 Florida Bebidas SA: Key Facts
- Summary 3 Florida Bebidas SA: Operational Indicators
- Summary 4 Florida Bebidas SA: Production Statistics 2013
- Summary 5 Florida Bebidas SA: Competitive Position 2013
Grupo Pampa SA in Alcoholic Drinks (Costa Rica)
- Summary 6 Grupo Pampa SA: Key Facts
- Summary 7 Grupo Pampa SA: Competitive Position 2013
Alcoholic Drinks in Costa Rica - Industry Context
The demand for alcoholic drinks shows a slight improvement in 2013
Craft beer and the wine culture continue consolidating in Costa Rica
Florida Bebidas SA consolidates its positioning within spirits in 2013
The off-trade channel continues to benefit within the local market
Added-value alternatives are anticipated to gain in relevance over the forecast period
TAXATION AND DUTY LEVIES
- Table 22 Typical Wholesaler and Retailer Off-trade Mark-ups by Selected Categories 2013
- Table 23 Selling Margin of a Typical Beer Brand in a Retail Channel that does not use a Wholesaler 2013
- Table 24 Selling Margin of a Typical Wine Brand in a Retail Channel that does not use a Wholesaler 2013
- Table 25 Selling Margin of a Typical Spirits Brand in a Retail Channel that does not use a Wholesaler 2013
KEY NEW PRODUCT LAUNCHES
- Summary 8 Key New Product Developments 2013-2014
- Table 26 Retail Consumer Expenditure on Alcoholic Drinks 2008-2013
- Table 27 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Volume 2008-2013
- Table 28 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Value 2008-2013
- Table 29 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 30 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 31 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by Off-trade vs On-trade: Volume 2013
- Table 32 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by Off-trade vs On-trade: Value 2013
- Table 33 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by Off-trade vs On-trade: % Volume 2013
- Table 34 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by Off-trade vs On-trade: % Value 2013
- Table 35 GBO Company Shares of Alcoholic Drinks: % Total Volume 2009-2013
- Table 36 Distribution of Alcoholic Drinks by Format: % Off-trade Value 2008-2013
- Table 37 Distribution of Alcoholic Drinks by Format by Category: % Off-trade Volume 2013
- Table 38 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Volume 2013-2018
- Table 39 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Value 2013-2018
- Table 40 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 41 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Value Growth 2013-2018
- Summary 9 Research Sources