- Beer sales in Thailand continued to face a declining trend in 2014 due to low consumer sentiment resulting from the country’s economic slowdown, high level of household debt along with higher prices of beers resulting from new tax rates imposed since September 2013. Apart from the economic climate, political instability also led to a decline in the consumption of beer sold to both locals and travellers in Thailand. Although the economy was slightly better than in 2013, it will take some time for it to really improve, hence the volume sales of beer in 2014 experienced overall negative growth.
- The leading player in terms of volume beer sales in 2014 was Boon Rawd Brewery, the brand owner of long standing famous brands, such as Singha and Leo, which maintained the lion’s share of 59% of beer consumption in the country. Apart from the local brands, Boon Rawd Brewery also markets and distributes international brands, such as Asahi Super Dry, Corona Extra and Miller. Another leading player was Thai Beverage, the brand owner of Chang beer, which yielded the second highest category volume share of 32% in 2014. These top two players accounted for over 90% of the category. The remaining players were Thai Asia Pacific Brewery, San Miguel Beer, Diethelm and other small or niche manufacturers.
- Beer sales are expected to sustain a negative growth trend over the forecast period. Compared to the review period, the future outlook of Thailand’s beer category is anticipated to underperform its historic performance with a contracting CAGR of 1% over the 2014-2019 period. The negative growth is likely to become less intense over time affected by the slow pace of economic recovery. However, the category outlook will remain less than optimistic. As such, leading industry players will begin looking to generate more revenue from abroad. Boon Rawd Brewery is aiming to increase the proportion of export revenue by focusing first on promoting its sales in neighbouring markets, including Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam. Thai Beverage also consistently aspires to become a global brand. The company has run multiple international marketing campaigns, especially sports marketing as well as implementing a merger and acquisition strategy with many companies across a broad range of industries, from non-alcoholic drinks and real estate in ASEAN to increase its presence as an international conglomerate in these foreign markets.
GET MORE FOR LESS!
For orders of 3 or more reports, in addition to your multi-purchase discount, we will provide any strategy or global briefing absolutely free.
Please contact a web site agent using the chat box or complete the form here to receive your free strategic briefing.
Samples (FAQs about samples):Sample Beer Market Research Report
Sample Beer Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Beer industry in Thailand with research from Euromonitor's team of in- country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Beer industry in Thailand, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Beer in Thailand market research report inclyudes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market volume shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Production, imports by origin, exports by destination
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Beer in Thailand?
- What are the major brands in Thailand?
- How has premium lager performed in the wake of the global recession, has it lost out to economy lager as consumers traded down?
- What are the most popular flavours within non-alcoholic beer?
- What are the market opportunities for ‘healthier’ beers like low calorie and/or low abv beers?
- Has the implementation of a stricter drink driving law benefited sales of low/non-alcohol beer?
- Has the recession benefited domestic lager over imported lager?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Alcoholic Drinks market research database.
Table of Contents
Beer in Thailand - Category Analysis
PRODUCTION, IMPORTS AND EXPORTS
Lager price band methodology
- Summary 1 Lager by Price Band 2014
- Table 1 Sales of Beer by Category: Total Volume 2009-2014
- Table 2 Sales of Beer by Category: Total Value 2009-2014
- Table 3 Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 4 Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 5 Sales of Beer by Off-trade vs On-trade: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 6 Sales of Beer by Off-trade vs On-trade: Value 2009-2014
- Table 7 Sales of Beer by Off-trade vs On-trade: % Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 8 Sales of Beer by Off-trade vs On-trade: % Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 9 GBO Company Shares of Beer: % Total Volume 2010-2014
- Table 10 NBO Company Shares of Beer: % Total Volume 2010-2014
- Table 11 LBN Brand Shares of Beer: % Total Volume 2011-2014
- Table 12 Production, Imports and Exports of Beer: Total Volume 2008-2013
- Table 13 Imports of Beer by Country of Origin: Total Volume 2008-2013
- Table 14 Imports of Beer by Country of Origin: Total Value 2008-2013
- Table 15 Exports of Beer by Country of Destination: Total Volume 2008-2013
- Table 16 Exports of Beer by Country of Destination: Total Value 2008-2013
- Table 17 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: Total Volume 2014-2019
- Table 18 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: Total Value 2014-2019
- Table 19 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2014-2019
- Table 20 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Value Growth 2014-2019
Beer in Thailand - Company Profiles
Boon Rawd Brewery Co Ltd in Alcoholic Drinks (Thailand)
- Summary 2 Boon Rawd Brewery Co Ltd: Key Facts
- Summary 3 Boon Rawd Brewery Co Ltd: Production Statistics 2013
- Summary 4 Boon Rawd Brewery Co Ltd: Competitive Position 2014
Thai Beverage PCL in Alcoholic Drinks (Thailand)
- Summary 5 Thai Beverage PCL: Key Facts
- Summary 6 Thai Beverage PCL: Operational Indicators
- Summary 7 Thai Beverage PCL: Competitive Position 2014
Alcoholic Drinks in Thailand - Industry Context
Unfavourable macroeconomic factors hinder the market performance
A decline in beer consumption continues to drive down the overall market performance
Local manufacturers dominate sales
The off-trade remains the key retail channel in alcoholic drinks in Thailand
Positive but slower growth is expected in the forecast period
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Economic and political conditions lower consumer sentiment in alcoholic drinks
Higher tax rates put added pressure on product prices and demand
Marketing activities target the wealthy and young consumers
Key new product launches
- Summary 8 Key New Product Developments 2014
- Table 21 Number of On-trade Establishments by Type 2009-2014
TAXATION AND DUTY LEVIES
- Summary 9 Taxation and Duty Levies on Alcoholic Drinks 2014
- Table 22 Typical Wholesaler and Retailer Off-trade Mark-ups by Selected Categories 2014
- Table 23 Selling Margin of a Typical Beer Brand in Retail Channel which Uses Wholesalers 2014
- Table 24 Selling Margin of a Typical Wine Brand in Retail Channel Which Uses Wholesalers 2014
- Table 25 Selling Margin of a Typical Spirits Brand in Retail Channel Which Uses Wholesalers 2014
- Table 26 Retail Consumer Expenditure on Alcoholic Drinks 2009-2014
- Table 27 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Volume 2009-2014
- Table 28 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Value 2009-2014
- Table 29 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 30 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 31 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by Off-trade vs On-trade: Volume 2014
- Table 32 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by Off-trade vs On-trade: Value 2014
- Table 33 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by Off-trade vs On-trade: % Volume 2014
- Table 34 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by Off-trade vs On-trade: % Value 2014
- Table 35 GBO Company Shares of Alcoholic Drinks: % Total Volume 2010-2014
- Table 36 Distribution of Alcoholic Drinks by Format: % Off-trade Value 2009-2014
- Table 37 Distribution of Alcoholic Drinks by Format and Category: % Off-trade Volume 2014
- Table 38 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Volume 2014-2019
- Table 39 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Value 2014-2019
- Table 40 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2014-2019
- Table 41 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Value Growth 2014-2019
- Summary 10 Research Sources