- In spite of the increasing penetration of imported brands at modern grocery outlets, local consumers maintained a clear preference towards the best-selling value for money options available, which included the traditional local fresh cheese Turrialba and the popular spreadable processed cheese options that are positioned as “American Style” cream cheese. As a result of the current exposure to global consumption trends and the penetration of better priced imported products (in the reference frame of free trade agreements), leading local manufacturers such as Cooperativa de Productos de Leche Dos Pinos and Sigma Alimentos de Costa Rica, continued to invest in developing additional line extensions of more premium products, while maintaining solid volume growth thanks to the strong position and wide availability of their more traditional formats.
- The local Cooperativa de Productos de Leche Dos Pinos, RL retained the lead in cheese sales in Costa Rica during 2015, accounting for 46% of value sales. Besides its strong top of mind reference and deep penetration amongst middle-income consumers, this manufacturer’s capacity for constant innovation and segmentation has helped it to maintain the pace of the new competitive challenges derived from free trade agreements and the increasing pressure from international manufacturers. Furthermore, this local producer takes advantage of its cooperative business model, which has significant tax benefits in Costa Rica while providing it from a vertically integrated business model, which allows it to be very competitive in terms of unit prices and cost efficiencies. In second place came Sigma Alimentos Costa Rica SA which accounts for a 34% retail value share, benefiting from the strong brand positioning of its cheese brands Monteverde and del Prado, which also take advantage of this manufacturer’s economy of scale savings in terms of production and distribution (also relevant in categories such as yoghurt, ice cream and chilled processed meat).
- Further levels of segmentation shall consolidate as the main sales driver within a relatively mature category in Costa Rica over the coming five years, when instead of seeing strong growth in volume terms, value sales are expected to rise. This scenario shall continue to unfold during the forecast period given the increasing globalised context that promotes the development of value-oriented proposals capable of suiting the taste preferences and quality expectations of an expanding base of middle- and high-income consumers, which have access to regional culinary trends and are willing to pay higher unit prices for the right value proposals (including artisanal brands, low calorie products and organic options).
GET MORE FOR LESS!
For orders of 3 or more reports, in addition to your multi-purchase discount, we will provide any strategy or global briefing absolutely free.
Please contact a web site agent using the chat box or complete the form here to receive your free strategic briefing.
Samples (FAQs about samples):Sample Cheese Market Research Report
Sample Cheese Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Cheese industry in Costa Rica with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Cheese industry in Costa Rica, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Cheese in Costa Rica market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Cheese in Costa Rica?
- What are the major brands in Costa Rica?
- Given mounting obesity concerns, are consumers moving from full-fat to reduced fat/fat-free offerings?
- Are consumers moving from unpackaged to packaged cheese?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Packaged Food market research database.
Table of Contents
Cheese in Costa Rica - Category Analysis
- Table 1 Sales of Cheese by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 2 Sales of Cheese by Category: Value 2010-2015
- Table 3 Sales of Cheese by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 4 Sales of Cheese by Category: % Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 5 Sales of Spreadable Processed Cheese by Type: % Value Breakdown 2010-2015
- Table 6 NBO Company Shares of Cheese: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 7 LBN Brand Shares of Cheese: % Value 2012-2015
- Table 8 Distribution of Cheese by Format: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 9 Forecast Sales of Cheese by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 10 Forecast Sales of Cheese by Category: Value 2015-2020
- Table 11 Forecast Sales of Cheese by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Cheese by Category: % Value Growth 2015-2020
Cheese in Costa Rica - Company Profiles
Cooperativa de Productos de Leche Dos Pinos, RL in Packaged Food (Costa Rica)
- Summary 1 Cooperativa de Productos de Leche Dos Pinos, RL: Key Facts
- Summary 2 Cooperativa de Productos de Leche Dos Pinos, RL: Competitive Position 2015
Packaged Food in Costa Rica - Industry Context
Steady volume and value growth characterise 2015 performance
Affordable healthy proposals and value for money alternatives keep gaining ground
Consolidated international players continue to be challenged by local propositions
Modern grocery outlet penetration reaches more stable scenario in 2015
Convenient and healthy propositions will set the pace over the coming five years
FOODSERVICE: KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
- Table 13 Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 14 Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 15 Forecast Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 16 Forecast Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 17 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 18 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Value 2010-2015
- Table 19 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 20 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 21 GBO Company Shares of Packaged Food: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 22 NBO Company Shares of Packaged Food: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 23 LBN Brand Shares of Packaged Food: % Value 2012-2015
- Table 24 Penetration of Private Label by Category: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 25 Distribution of Packaged Food by Format: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 26 Distribution of Packaged Food by Format and Category: % Value 2015
- Table 27 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 28 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Value 2015-2020
- Table 29 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 30 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Value Growth 2015-2020
- Summary 3 Research Sources