- According to a consumer survey conducted for the domestic dairy-giant Tine SA, Norwegian consumers want to learn more about cheese and its different uses, suggesting that consumption has become so high that consumers want to differentiate their intake to a higher degree. Following the survey, Tine introduced a digital magazine about cheese called Osteriet in February 2015. In this magazine, consumers were able to find information regarding cheese, both for everyday consumption and for nicer occasions. The magazine displayed a wide selection of Norwegian cheese, both from Tine and other smaller domestic producers, which is expected to benefit the more than 150 different small scale cheese producers in Norway. Another indicator of the rising willingness of Norwegian consumers to learn more about cheese was the numerous wine and cheese tastings that emerged towards the end of the review period.
- As in all dairy categories, Norwegian dairy-giant Tine SA continued to dominate sales of cheese in both 2014 and 2015. The company accounted for a retail value sales share of 54% in 2015, which represented a three percentage point decline from 2010. This decline was predominantly attributable to rising cheese imports. Tine SA saw retail value sales growth of 5% in 2015, comparable to the CAGR it recorded over the review period. The company’s main type of cheese, yellow cheese, saw positive retail volume sales growth in 2015, which underpinned retail value sales growth. Tine's Norvegia, the leading brand in cheese, saw retail value sales growth of 8% in 2014 and 6% in 2015, contributing to the company maintaining a stable retail value sales share over the last three years of the review period. Norvegia and the second ranking Jarlsberg brand cemented a position within Norwegian households as the go-to option for most family breakfasts. These cheese lines comprised a wide range of alternatives, with the Norvegia line consisting of eight options, whilst Jarlsberg was available in seven different varieties. The Norvegia range included both organic and low-fat alternatives, as well as a shredded format for use as a garnish when cooking.
- Similar to fresh milk, cheese is considered a stable good in most Norwegian homes, with over five million pieces of bread with cheese consumed in the country each day. Consequently, due to the established position of the category among Norwegian consumers, it is highly unlikely that any noteworthy change in dynamics will occur over the forecast period. Norwegian consumers will continue to purchase yellow and brown cheese for everyday use, while imported cheese and cheese from smaller domestic players will boost volume sales. In addition, the use of soft cheese as a cooking ingredient increased throughout the review period, becoming more popular. More intense marketing highlighting the fact that soft cheese can be used for cooking could facilitate even further growth, if it starts competing directly with other protein rich dairy alternatives, such as Greek yoghurt.
GET MORE FOR LESS!
For orders of 3 or more reports, in addition to your multi-purchase discount, we will provide any strategy or global briefing absolutely free.
Please contact a web site agent using the chat box or complete the form here to receive your free strategic briefing.
Samples (FAQs about samples):Sample Cheese Market Research Report
Sample Cheese Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Cheese industry in Norway with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Cheese industry in Norway, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Cheese in Norway market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Cheese in Norway?
- What are the major brands in Norway?
- Given mounting obesity concerns, are consumers moving from full-fat to reduced fat/fat-free offerings?
- Are consumers moving from unpackaged to packaged cheese?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Packaged Food market research database.
Table of Contents
Cheese in Norway - Category Analysis
- Table 1 Sales of Cheese by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 2 Sales of Cheese by Category: Value 2010-2015
- Table 3 Sales of Cheese by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 4 Sales of Cheese by Category: % Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 5 Sales of Spreadable Processed Cheese by Type: % Value Breakdown 2010-2015
- Table 6 Sales of Unprocessed Cheese by Type: % Value Breakdown 2010-2015
- Table 7 NBO Company Shares of Cheese: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Cheese: % Value 2012-2015
- Table 9 Distribution of Cheese by Format: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 10 Forecast Sales of Cheese by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 11 Forecast Sales of Cheese by Category: Value 2015-2020
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Cheese by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Cheese by Category: % Value Growth 2015-2020
Cheese in Norway - Company Profiles
Coop Norge Handel AS in Packaged Food (Norway)
- Summary 1 Coop Norge Handel AS: Key Facts
- Summary 2 Coop Norge Handel AS: Operational Indicators
- Summary 3 Coop Norge AS: Private Label Portfolio
- Summary 4 Coop Norge AS: Competitive Position 2014
Tine SA in Packaged Food (Norway)
- Summary 5 Tine SA: Key Facts
- Summary 6 Tine SA: Operational Indicators
- Summary 7 Tine SA: Competitive Position 2015
Packaged Food in Norway - Industry Context
Stable development continues
Norwegian consumers turn their interest towards locally-sourced food
Domestic players govern packaged food
Grocery retailers dominate; internet retailing is yet to become mainstream
Health and wellness will continue to ensure high and stable development
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Consumers and producers embrace locally produced food
The food wars
Health and wellness is the everlasting trend in packaged food
Food intolerance goes mainstream
FOODSERVICE: KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Trends: Sales to Foodservice
Trends: Consumer Foodservice
- Table 14 Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 15 Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 16 Forecast Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 17 Forecast Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 18 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 19 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Value 2010-2015
- Table 20 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 21 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 22 GBO Company Shares of Packaged Food: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 23 NBO Company Shares of Packaged Food: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 24 LBN Brand Shares of Packaged Food: % Value 2012-2015
- Table 25 Penetration of Private Label by Category: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 26 Distribution of Packaged Food by Format: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 27 Distribution of Packaged Food by Format and Category: % Value 2015
- Table 28 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 29 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Value 2015-2020
- Table 30 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 31 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Value Growth 2015-2020
- Summary 8 Research Sources