- Cheese was characterised by strong price competition at the end of the review period. The leading grocery retailers focused on driving private label sales growth by offering attractive prices and price promotions, with the latter strategy also widely used by leading brands as they competed for share. In order to combat strong competition from private label and the commoditisation of cheese, leading players such as Dairy Crest meanwhile sought to strengthen their adult snacking ranges at the end of the review period. Multi-packs of single-portion cheese not only offer higher margins but continued to see a strong performance, benefiting from time-poor consumers seeking convenience and from health-conscious consumers seeking portion control.
- The leading grocery retailers are strong in cheese, often investing in margins in this area in order to offer good quality private label options at attractive prices. Thanks to this strategy, Tesco, J Sainsbury and Asda were all in the top four players in cheese in 2015, ranking first, third and fourth with 11%, 8% and 7% share respectively. Due to competing effectively on price and quality, they furthermore gained almost a combined percentage point in value share in the year. Overall private label meanwhile accounted for over 33% value share in cheese in 2015, up from 32% in the previous year.
- Cheese is expected to continue to be impacted by strong price competition in the forecast period. Leading grocery retailers will continue to compete heavily on price, ensuring that they offer an attractive range of private label cheese at low prices. Both private label and brands will meanwhile seek to win share via price promotions. As a result of these trends, while cheese is expected to see 4% volume growth in the forecast period, sales are expected to see 3% value decline at constant 2015 prices.
GET MORE FOR LESS!
For orders of 3 or more reports, in addition to your multi-purchase discount, we will provide any strategy or global briefing absolutely free.
Please contact a web site agent using the chat box or complete the form here to receive your free strategic briefing.
Samples (FAQs about samples):Sample Cheese Market Research Report
Sample Cheese Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Cheese industry in United Kingdom with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Cheese industry in United Kingdom, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Cheese in United Kingdom market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Cheese in United Kingdom?
- What are the major brands in United Kingdom?
- Given mounting obesity concerns, are consumers moving from full-fat to reduced fat/fat-free offerings?
- Are consumers moving from unpackaged to packaged cheese?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Packaged Food market research database.
Table of Contents
Cheese in the United Kingdom - Category Analysis
- Table 1 Sales of Cheese by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 2 Sales of Cheese by Category: Value 2010-2015
- Table 3 Sales of Cheese by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 4 Sales of Cheese by Category: % Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 5 Sales of Spreadable Processed Cheese by Type: % Value Breakdown 2010-2015
- Table 6 Sales of Unprocessed Cheese by Type: % Value Breakdown 2010-2015
- Table 7 NBO Company Shares of Cheese: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Cheese: % Value 2012-2015
- Table 9 Distribution of Cheese by Format: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 10 Forecast Sales of Cheese by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 11 Forecast Sales of Cheese by Category: Value 2015-2020
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Cheese by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Cheese by Category: % Value Growth 2015-2020
Cheese in the United Kingdom - Company Profiles
J Sainsbury Plc in Packaged Food (United Kingdom)
- Summary 1 J Sainsbury Plc: Key Facts
- Summary 2 J Sainsbury Plc: Operational Indicators
- Summary 3 J Sainsbury Plc: Private Label Portfolio
- Summary 4 J Sainsbury Plc: Competitive Position 2014
Mondelez UK Ltd in Packaged Food (United Kingdom)
- Summary 5 Mondelez UK Ltd: Key Facts
- Summary 6 Mondelez UK Ltd: Operational Indicators
- Summary 7 Mondelez UK Ltd: Competitive Position 2015
Packaged Food in the United Kingdom - Industry Context
Growth recorded but packaged food market labours
Convenience and provenance trends impact packaged food
Brand manufacturers challenge supermarkets with new strategies
Discounters consolidate market share
Innovation required to fend off projected mediocre performance
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Discounters consolidate market share
Masterbrand strategy gains prominence
Convenience formats popular across the UK
Consumers value food provenance
FOODSERVICE: KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Trends: Sales to Foodservice
Trends: Consumer Foodservice
- Table 14 Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 15 Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 16 Forecast Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 17 Forecast Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 18 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 19 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Value 2010-2015
- Table 20 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 21 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 22 GBO Company Shares of Packaged Food: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 23 NBO Company Shares of Packaged Food: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 24 LBN Brand Shares of Packaged Food: % Value 2012-2015
- Table 25 Penetration of Private Label by Category: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 26 Distribution of Packaged Food by Format: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 27 Distribution of Packaged Food by Format and Category: % Value 2015
- Table 28 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 29 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Value 2015-2020
- Table 30 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 31 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Value Growth 2015-2020
- Summary 8 Research Sources