- In 2015, the main growth drivers in cheese were products positioned as meal solutions or for snacking. Such products include ingredients for salads, savoury pies and other recipes such as mozzarella, feta and other cheese cubes, slices of raclette (included in packaged hard cheese) and recipes for fondue, traditional culinary cheese (grated cheese, sticks, slices for sandwiches) and cheese for aperitifs and tapas. Such products continued to gain ground at the expense of basic platter cheese that is usually consumed at the end of a meal, including for instance Camembert and Coulommiers, blue veined cheese and even goat cheese – although the main reason behind the slow performance of the latter was a shortage due to the bankruptcy of some dairies in 2014.
- With a 21% value share in 2015, Groupe Lactalis remained the leading company in cheese. Following on from the decline in share recorded in 2014, Groupe Lactalis faced stagnation in its overall share of cheese in 2015, mainly due to the fact its core business is in the waning category of soft cheese. Its flagship Président brand posted a slight share decline, suffering as a result of the drop in sales of Camembert and Coulommiers, despite the launch of a goat milk variant in early 2015.Through the Président brand, the company continued to try to diversify towards other products such as packaged hard cheese, but it progressed much less than Entremont (Entremont SA) in this area. Meanwhile, although the Salakis brand benefited from consumer interest in feta, Groupe Lactalis also experienced the decline of Lanquetot in Camembert and Société in Roquefort (both in soft cheese), despite the successful launch of Société Roq’Croc slices for sandwiches in 2014.
- Most marketers are not strongly concerned about the growth potential of cheese going forward. Despite being a mature category, cheese has shown it is able to accommodate both traditional and modern aspects of consumption in France. The continuous flow of product and packaging innovations, as well as sustained marketing efforts, should continue to foster new consumption patterns, such as snacking and more varied culinary applications. Cheese will remain a popular category for French consumers, continuing to benefit from the waning but persistent tradition of eating premium cheese after a meal.
GET MORE FOR LESS!
For orders of 3 or more reports, in addition to your multi-purchase discount, we will provide any strategy or global briefing absolutely free.
Please contact a web site agent using the chat box or complete the form here to receive your free strategic briefing.
Samples (FAQs about samples):Sample Cheese Market Research Report
Sample Cheese Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Cheese industry in France with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Cheese industry in France, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Cheese in France market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Cheese in France?
- What are the major brands in France?
- Given mounting obesity concerns, are consumers moving from full-fat to reduced fat/fat-free offerings?
- Are consumers moving from unpackaged to packaged cheese?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Packaged Food market research database.
Table of Contents
Cheese in France - Category Analysis
- Table 1 Sales of Cheese by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 2 Sales of Cheese by Category: Value 2010-2015
- Table 3 Sales of Cheese by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 4 Sales of Cheese by Category: % Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 5 Sales of Spreadable Processed Cheese by Type: % Value Breakdown 2010-2015
- Table 6 Sales of Unprocessed Cheese by Type: % Value Breakdown 2010-2015
- Table 7 NBO Company Shares of Cheese: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Cheese: % Value 2012-2015
- Table 9 Distribution of Cheese by Format: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 10 Forecast Sales of Cheese by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 11 Forecast Sales of Cheese by Category: Value 2015-2020
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Cheese by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Cheese by Category: % Value Growth 2015-2020
Cheese in France - Company Profiles
Carrefour SA in Packaged Food (France)
- Summary 1 Carrefour SA: Key Facts
- Summary 2 Carrefour SA: Operational Indicators
- Summary 3 Carrefour SA: Private Label Portfolio
- Summary 4 Carrefour SA: Competitive Position 2015
Packaged Food in France - Industry Context
Price war undermines the fragile recovery of packaged food
“Let food be your medicine”, especially when it is cooked at home
More favourable environment for branded products
Supermarkets and hypermarkets lead the way, despite price erosion
Slight improvement anticipated in the medium term
Key Trends and Developments
The absence of real economic recovery puts pressure on prices and packaged food
Home consumption increasingly mirrors trends from consumer foodservice
French consumers want better control of what they eat
Ongoing consolidation in retailing and amongst manufacturers
Foodservice: Key Trends and Developments
Trends: Sales to Foodservice
Trends: Consumer Foodservice
- Table 14 Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 15 Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 16 Forecast Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 17 Forecast Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 18 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 19 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Value 2010-2015
- Table 20 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 21 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 22 GBO Company Shares of Packaged Food: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 23 NBO Company Shares of Packaged Food: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 24 LBN Brand Shares of Packaged Food: % Value 2012-2015
- Table 25 Penetration of Private Label by Category: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 26 Distribution of Packaged Food by Format: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 27 Distribution of Packaged Food by Format and Category: % Value 2015
- Table 28 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 29 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Value 2015-2020
- Table 30 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 31 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Value Growth 2015-2020
- Summary 5 Research Sources