- Although it is a mature category, cheese in Finland was subject to plenty of developments and emerging trends during 2015. Finns continued to discover different cheese types and flavours and cheese was increasingly used as an ingredient in various dishes. In addition to the more traditional consumption of cheese as a sandwich filling, there was also an increasing tendency to serve cheese on gourmet platters, which meant that savouring cheeses became more common. New flavour experiences also increased demand for imported cheese and premium products. On the other hand, discounted products and private label cheese continued to attract consumers during 2015 as many Finnish people were looking to save money at a time of economic recession and elevated unemployment. Cheese in Finland was, however, shaken up in 2014 by the EU’s sanctions on exports to Russia as 100,000kg of Finnish cheese destined for Russia had to be sold off in Finland. This massive surplus of cheese was sold domestically at low prices, a development which was welcomed enthusiastically by local people.
- The domestic dairy giant Valio Oy remained in the strong lead in cheese in 2015 with a 47% value share. The quality and flavour of its cheese is well-known and highly trusted among local consumers and the range of products it offers is very wide. In addition to enjoying excellent distribution, the company also invests a great deal in marketing and new product development whilst closely following consumer trends and demand patterns. The second ranking company in the category, Arla Oy held a 19% value share in 2015 with its wide selection of both domestically manufactured and imported cheeses. Arla also undertakes substantial marketing efforts and regular new product launches.
- Although cheese in Finland is no longer a dynamic category, cheese consumption in the country is still expected to continue expanding over the forecast period. Experimenting with different types of cheese in cooking and discovering different types of cheese is expected to remain popular among the Finnish population. The promotion of cheese is set to continue involve expanding the perception of cheese out from its traditional use as a sandwich filling and topping for bread to a component of savoury platters as the image of cheese changes from being an everyday food item to an item to be consumed on special occasions. In addition, Finnish consumers are set to continue paying more attention to the use of natural and additive-free ingredients in cheese, inspired by the health and wellness trend. In addition, the focus on ethical and environmental values in the manufacturing process is expected to increasingly interest Finnish people. Therefore, more players in cheese are expected to emphasise their use of local ingredients and improved welfare and conditions for their dairy cows. It is also predicted that consumers will return to paying attention to the fat content of cheese, with many Finns having abandoned this during the review period as the low-carb dieting trend peaked and consumers embraced natural fats.
GET MORE FOR LESS!
For orders of 3 or more reports, in addition to your multi-purchase discount, we will provide any strategy or global briefing absolutely free.
Please contact a web site agent using the chat box or complete the form here to receive your free strategic briefing.
Samples (FAQs about samples):Sample Cheese Market Research Report
Sample Cheese Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Cheese industry in Finland with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Cheese industry in Finland, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Cheese in Finland market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Cheese in Finland?
- What are the major brands in Finland?
- Given mounting obesity concerns, are consumers moving from full-fat to reduced fat/fat-free offerings?
- Are consumers moving from unpackaged to packaged cheese?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Packaged Food market research database.
Table of Contents
Cheese in Finland - Category Analysis
- Table 1 Sales of Cheese by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 2 Sales of Cheese by Category: Value 2010-2015
- Table 3 Sales of Cheese by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 4 Sales of Cheese by Category: % Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 5 Sales of Spreadable Processed Cheese by Type: % Value Breakdown 2010-2015
- Table 6 Sales of Unprocessed Cheese by Type: % Value Breakdown 2010-2015
- Table 7 NBO Company Shares of Cheese: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Cheese: % Value 2012-2015
- Table 9 Distribution of Cheese by Format: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 10 Forecast Sales of Cheese by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 11 Forecast Sales of Cheese by Category: Value 2015-2020
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Cheese by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Cheese by Category: % Value Growth 2015-2020
Cheese in Finland - Company Profiles
Arla Oy in Packaged Food (Finland)
- Summary 1 Arla Oy: Key Facts
- Summary 2 Arla Oy: Operational Indicators
- Summary 3 Arla Oy: Competitive Position 2015
S Group in Packaged Food (Finland)
- Summary 4 S Group: Key Facts
- Summary 5 S Group: Operational Indicators
- Summary 6 S Group: Private Label Portfolio
- Summary 7 S Group: Competitive Position 2015
Valio Oy in Packaged Food (Finland)
- Summary 8 Valio Oy: Key Facts
- Summary 9 Valio Oy: Operational Indicators
- Summary 10 Valio Oy: Competitive Position 2015
Packaged Food in Finland - Industry Context
Negative value growth challenges packaged food
Consumers favour domestic products and retailers engage in a price war
Private label marches on
Dominant modern grocery retailers maintains its grip
Steady value growth predicted, but with caution
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Domestic grocery retail giants dominate packaged food distribution, but face competition from Lidl
Domestic origin is a sales boost
Price wars in 2015
Traditional food persists but ranges are widening
FOODSERVICE: KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Trends: Sales to Foodservice
Trends: Consumer Foodservice
- Table 14 Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 15 Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 16 Forecast Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 17 Forecast Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 18 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 19 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Value 2010-2015
- Table 20 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 21 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 22 GBO Company Shares of Packaged Food: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 23 NBO Company Shares of Packaged Food: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 24 LBN Brand Shares of Packaged Food: % Value 2012-2015
- Table 25 Penetration of Private Label by Category: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 26 Distribution of Packaged Food by Format: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 27 Distribution of Packaged Food by Format and Category: % Value 2015
- Table 28 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 29 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Value 2015-2020
- Table 30 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 31 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Value Growth 2015-2020
- Summary 11 Research Sources